Pet Insurance?

Do you have it? Should I get it? What company do you recommend. Which company should I avoid? Thanks

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 7:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pets

• I agree that you should look into Trupanion. They offer a much better plan than others on the market. VPI has way too many restrictions. It's like the don't cover anything... and what they do cover ends up being at, like 40% with their 'benefit schedule'.
    familyandfur

Answer by familyandfur at 5:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• VPI does not increase with age either....my dog is now 7 and we pay exactly the same amount...regardless of what company you use, it's a great investment. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm going to get it next month. We have 3 dogs and if one gets sick I want to be covered. It's cheaper than vet bills.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes, we've had it....and YES it's worth it. We have VPI (Veterinary Pet insurance) we've had to use more than we ever planned...get it when they're young and there are no preexisting conditions or those conditions won't be covered. One of my dogs got a hold of an energy supplement my DH left on the dining room table. When I got home, she was so wired that she almost put herself through the glass door. I had to rush her to the ER vet in the middle of the night. She almost stroked out. Long story short. OUr vet bill was $1900 and after insurance, we were reimbursed a little over $1300. Very much worth it. :) I haven't heard of any negative companies, but they're who we've used their whole life.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• @dancinintherain...when it comes down to it. $300 a YEAR (average) beats the hell out of not being able to afford it and having them put to sleep, don't you think??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Compare Trupanion with VPI- MUCH better. 90% coverage, No limitations on congenital diseases and not rate increase as the pet ages.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Is there any pet insurance that covers the routine expenses (shots, flea treatments) or only catastrophic events?
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 8:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• @Whimsee...yes, you can purchase insurance that covers everything from shots, spay/neuter/dental...there are many different plans to choose from. http://www.petinsurance.com/
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• thanks I will look it up!
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 10:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't have it. I think it is a lot to spend on pets.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011