I have a son who has been diagnosed with ADHD. However, I don't think that is all that is going on. He has extreme tantrums over very little things, he is angry and or sad a lot of the time, and has a hard time in dealing with any kind of emotion whether it be happiness, sadness, anger, etc. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what may be going on?

a2zaln1

Asked by a2zaln1 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• could he be depressed or autistic?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• how many specialists have you seen so far for his diagnosis? sometimes some miss things that another specialist will not. all I can advise is getting s second, third, fourth opinion or more until your inner mom GUT feels you have finally got the start of the right answers from one of them. i wish you well. i know how worrying and stressful it is during this time when you are trying to figure out exactly what a child's diagnosis is and then moving on to getting the right help. my son is not adhd but he is in the autism spectrum. took 2 years to get a complete diagnosis. and 4 specialists.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 7:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My oldest son was diagnosed with ADHD in grade school. He, also had the problems you are mentioning your son has. My son is now 26, and a few years ago, he was FINALLY correctly diagnosed as Bi-Polar. I'm so sorry you and your son are going through this. I really do wish the best for all. My son is now on meds, and doing very well.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If you feel something else is going on, get a second opinion.. If his ped was the one to diagnose the ADHD, please get someone else. It takes so much more than a questionnaire from the parents and teachers to diagnose this.. It is complicated.. It is not a one size fit all.. This comes from my own experience thinking a ped would know best. I was soo wrong..You can read all about it on my homepage in journals, if you would like.

My son is ADHD. So I have been there :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That sounds like my daughter. She is 6 yo and has been diagnosed as Bipolar.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Take a look at the book Raising A Spirited Child. It could just be that he is a sensitive boy who needs help managing strong feelings. The book is wonderful!!!!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• sounds like adhd , and could be other issues also
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Find a behavioral therapist and make an appointment.
    goddess99

Answer by goddess99 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Wow, thank you all for the insightful comments and kind and caring words. I have worked with children with special needs. I worked in that field for 8 years, and have since moved on to another career path. I agree with some of you that have mentioned the bipolar disorder. He shows many signs of it.
    However, it is a different role when you are the mother of this child, vs the educational provider :) I have thought several times that it may be something like bipolar disorder but I suppose I haven't quite come to grips with it.
    Another problem I am finding, is finding a good reliable specialist in my area. I had been taking him to a pediatrician, psychiatrist, and psychologist...however, I have not been overly impressed with some of these people. I don't feel like what I am doing for him is helping. All I want is for him to be happy and back to his old self. :)
    Thanks ladies :)
    a2zaln1

Comment by a2zaln1 (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• not saying this is your case but i'm just going to tell you my opinion of what i see from my sister and her child. She has a 3 1/2 yr old boy. He can get out of control. He never listens to her...he is always, screaming, hitting, etc... she is taking him to be "evaluated" for whatever..idk. but anyways in my honest opinion, from an outsider looking in..my sister is a major contributor to his problems. She does not know how to handle him. She is always screaming at him and telling him no. The kid is always being yelled at. ..its a sad situation. My nephew alone without her is a sweet boy..but the two of them together are a ticking time bomb. Have you looked at yourself? maybe your child is reacting from your actions
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011