How do you work things out between your spouse and your step-child vs. your relationship with your own kids?

Do you keep $ separate between my kids and my step-son? What if your step-son's grandmother is too involved in the relationship? What do you do when your step-son does not have the same educational skills as your own children, and you would never allow your children to come home with grades like he does. Also, what if my husband (his dad) thinks that I do not want him around because he is not as disciplined as my own kids?

Morgan43

Asked by Morgan43 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Sounds like you've got lots of things to workout with your hubs. It's gonna be a long hard road - Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• wow, i thought you were talking about me for a minute there...i have no idea momma, i'm in the same boat and hate bringing it up on here because i know i will be bashed for how i feel about stuff. good luck, i hope someone has an answer, cuz i need some too!
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• What do you mean about the money? To involved with the SS? That would make things easier on you. His education needs to be taken care of by his parents. You shouldn't have to worry about that. My DH thinks the same thing about me with my SS. I don't like that he isn't disciplined very well. I.E.: stealing diapers isn't appropriate. and his parents don't do anything about it because they are honestly too lazy to lol. But again, that should be them doing the disciplining. But you should be able to throw in your opinion and give advice.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• .To me, It sounds like you do not want the kid around. How old is this kid? "Same Educational Skills", REALLY?!? You sound ugly and insecure. I know a handle full of step-mothers. And most talk like you about their stepkids. Not all women are capable of being a stepmother, especially if they have kids of their own. I would back up and make sure you are really upset by the behavior and not just wanting to get the kid out of the life you and your husband have. 

eluc

Answer by eluc at 8:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Keep pushing for the good grades and make your husband back you up, as long as they are A's and B's. My step son lives with us to and he I guess is going through that rough age where his attitude is horrible and I have to keep reminding myself to stay calm. Don't cut the Grandma out of his life but do tell her your house rules and he can't be rewarded for something that you and your husband wouldn't reward your other kids for. Being a step parent is tough, especially when the child lives with you and you have other children in the house. I completely understand. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011