Do teens with autism learn to understand jokes and play along? Also if they had autism would they be able to go into a room with strobe lights without freaking out? I was told mine had autism, yet she is now able to do things like that without any problems. So was she misdiagnosised?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Health

• She is 13.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Not all autistic kids have all symptoms
    this is why its called a spectrum disorder

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My 13 yo with autism has a great sense of humor. We have inside jokes and he knows them and plays along. Blinking lights and loud noises don't bother him a bit - we go to the skating rink all the time with the disco ball and the flashing lights on the floor. He loves it.

Answer by missanc at 8:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have autism. I went to a lot of school dances that had strobing lights and was fine. I also sometimes get jokes. Like a PP said it is a spectrum so all of us are different.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son is 21 and is autistic. He likes to joke around with his friends and family. If he doesn't "get" a joke , it's usually because he has trouble reading people he doesn't know well. If he doesn't get it, he'll ask if that was a joke. But he is otherwise a funny, independent young man. He lives alone, out of state, and is a full time student. It truly is a spectrum disorder with all autistic kids and adults falling somewhere on the spectrum. I hope this helps

jspencer1014

Answer by jspencer1014 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My ds is 9 and is not bothered by bright lights/strobe or loud noises. He does struggle with humor. While watching tv, if everyone laughs he'll ask why it's funny and I try to explain! lol Some things are hard to explain. I'm hoping by his teen years he'll be able to understand it a little better. He is laughing at "bathroom" humor (passing gas and such) at this point. Only you and your doctors can decide if she was misdiagnosed or not.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have a 21 year old and a19 year old who are both on the spectrum. One is very adept at humor and the other struggles with it a bit. Both have learned to understand it more over the years. One of my boys can't deal with strobe lights and hates flourescent lighting but the other is fine with it.

Autism is so vast and the symptoms are so varied. Not every kid on the spectrum will present with the same symptoms and there are many that learn and overcome some of them.

It sounds like you daughter is doing great, I wouldn't say she was misdiagnosed, just well parented :o)
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 6:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2011