what can i do with my 3 year old girl to stop! from snacking so much and to make her eat her meals? Please healp me.

out of my 3 kids my 3 year old girl will prefered not to eat anything than to eat her meals, she is also a picky eater so it's not easy for me to cook for her, she has no problem with snacks but when it comes to food then is where she drives me crazy!
what can i do? should i not give her any snack at all and have her be hungry?

krissna

Asked by krissna at 5:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She will eat her meals if you stop giving her snacks. Trust me. She will get hungary and will eat her meals. She knows you  will give in.

Answer by louise2 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My dd does the same thing. Our pediatrician said it isnt really a huge issue as long as you are offering her good snacks like fruits, veggies etc. Our pediatrician also told me 3 large meals a day is really not good for them, toddlers should have several small meals a day. Their tummies are not that big so they dont hold as much food. In fact even my own dr has said several small meals a day is healthier for grown adults then large meals because three large meals tend to expand our stomachs which are like balloons. The more you fill it up the more food you need to get full. Id offer healthy snacks and then meats for "meals". Eventually she will grow out of this stage too. *source- I have 5 kids*
    Anonymous

• I allow my son snacks as I'm never worried that he won't eat. BUT when I do fix something he didn't expect, well..he has a choice..eat or go hungry. Normally he'll grumble a while, used to throw a tantrum but over that now. Then after about 10 minutes he eats.

To make things easier for you, set up a consitant time for snacks. If she doesn't have her snack, well that's her choice, BUT when dinner comes around..well..if she doesn't eat, well..that's her choice tool. Don't give in. Sooner or later she will eat. Lock up the snacks if you have to until she gets used to the schedule. Keep it consistant, don't give in at home. She'll be ok. IF she refuses to eat at all for more than 4 days, well, you may have to alter the schedule a little, but she will eat I'm sure. Most kids do.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 6:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I taught preschool for over 6 years, infant to after schooler age, this is common. I've seen it a lot, especially with my son who has Autism and very picky. Your the mom, you make the rules, not the 3 year old.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 6:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Give them water and milk through out the day, and only feed snacks after they eat lunch or dinner, if they don't eat there meal don't give them snacks. Thats what i do with my 4 kids, i got a 4,3,2 and 9mo old. All girls.
    Ittybitty22

Answer by Ittybitty22 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Stop givng her snacks, and she will start eating meals. She will be hardheaded about it at first ( my son was ) but eventually she will realize that she has to eat what moma cooks.
    rocketgirl22

Answer by rocketgirl22 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Just make sure they are healthy snacks, and not very large ones. Like a piece of cheese and a couple apple slices would be good. Space them out evenly, and like another poster said, small meals work better than big meals. Dd gets a snack in between meals, and Imake sure its healthy so if she doesn't eat much of her dinner she's fine. Plus preschoolers have good days and bad days. Some days, dd will eat lunch really well but not eat dinner at all, and vice versa. I always make her eat at least a little, but Id on't believe in making them finish the whole thing at once. If she is hungry later, she can eat whatever of her dinner is left over.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• only ONLY only offer fresh fruit and veggies for snack. she can snack all day and still be healthy, and chances are, she will start eating meals too. some children are just born " grazers".
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 9:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Make a chart on a sheet of paper and tell her that she can only have 1, 2, 3, how ever many snacks and put a sticker on the chart when she ask for a snack when she has used up her snacks she does not get anymore. It also might help to eat a meal if you get her involved in the food preperation. Let her tear lettace, squish tomatos, stir, etc..Who knows you might have the next Iron Chef.
    EmmieandMom

Answer by EmmieandMom at 3:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Cut her off! Believe me she will eat what you make when she is hungry enough but first she needs to know you mean business and do not fall back to the old ways just because she throws a fit.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2008