What's a good hamburger casserole dish?

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I can't think of one, as we generally don't eat casseroles. I know shepherds pie is a very common dish, especially in the south. But my favorite thing is goulash. It's not a casserole, but it contains as many ingredients as a casserole. Just mix it all together and serve. =)

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Hamburger Surprise! :)

Make your own recipe of mashed potatoes. Then, Brown 1 lb ground beef (season as you wish), drain and mix with 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. Layer mixture into bottom of baking dish or slow cooker (I use a slow cooker). Over that mixture, layer 2 cans of french style green beans. Over the green beans, layer the mashed potatoes (whatever amount you wish). Over that, layer shredded cheddar cheese. Bake or heat in crock pot until cheese is melted and heated throughout.

I love this recipe! In fact, I think I will make it tomorrow.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 8:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I like to make a hamburger helper like dish, it's browned ground beef with onion, seasoned with chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, mix with cooked elbow macaroni and tomatoes (I grew up doing tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes, I do diced now because hubby doesn't like pieces of tomato in it).

You can do browned ground beef and onion with spaghetti sauce, layer with noodles (I like penne, macaroni, etc.) and parm and mozzarella cheese and bake it for 20 minutes or so.

You can always do a shepherd's pie, ground beef and veggies in a gravy, topped with mashed potatoes.

I always seem to run out of things to do with ground beef too!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Listen to these ladies. =) We don't eat much ground beef here, unfortunately. It's usually whole meats as I tend to grill out a lot or use the slow cooker.

Is lasagna considered a casserole? =P

GL!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh and this one is thoroughly bad for you, I only make it when my hubby is deployed because he doesn't like it:

Mix browned and seasoned ground beef with condensed tomato soup and a can of drained green beans, top with instant mashed potatoes and velveeta and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

I'm not proud of the nutritional value of that one, but I do like it every once in awhile. lol
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• A great hamburger and casserole dish is lagsagna. You layer pan fried ground beef , onions,garlic and green peppers with tomato sauce, mozzarella, ricotta and extra sharp cheddar cheese and mushrooms between the boiled and cooked lagsangna broad noodles.
    Bake in a preset 350 degree oven and bake till the noodles are brown and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
    mommylynne

Answer by mommylynne at 8:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I grew up eating different variations of this quite often, and we eat it a fair amount too (DH's favorite thing to make, DD likes to cook with him). Not the healthiest, but there are ways to make it healthy. Basic recipe: pasta + protein + vegetable + sauce. We cook the hamburger with onions, and drain it - 1-2 lbs, depending on how much you like and how big your family is. Cook pasta - again, amount depends on you. Drain, mix in the meat, whatever veggie (frozen steamed, fresh steamed, canned drained, it all works), and some cream of whatever soup, or a homemade white sauce, or even Italian dressing, or whatever your family likes. I've used canned creamed corn instead of soup, plus frozen corn before - sweeter, but different & good. I've also mixed frozen hashbrowns or fresh chopped potatoes with cooked hamburger, veggies, and sauce, and baked til done. (cont)
    Anonymous

• MIL cooks hamburger, puts it in a baking dish, tops with a veggie (usually corn), then some cream of whatever soup, and frozen french fries. Sometimes she'll sprinkle cheddar cheese under or over fries. But bake til done. And the "classic" tater tot casserole - my kids LOVE this, and this is MY recipe - it feeds 6 of us, is a very full pan, and we do have some leftover. 2 lbs hamburger, cooked with onion & drained. Mix in lots of green beans (I use 2 lbs frozen) and 2 small cans cream of celery. Spread in a 9x13 pan, top with 2.5 lbs (I buy a 5lb bag and use half) tater tots, and bake at 400 for at least 90 minutes. I don't add cheese - if you want to, put it on top of the meat, under the tots. I have 1 more that my family loves but will put it in one more box - too much for the few characters I have left here!
    Anonymous

• This makes a full 9x13 pan, or 2 thinner 8x8 pans. Cook 2 lbs hamburger & drain. Mix in 1 jar salsa of your choice, about 1/2 cup Miracle Whip (not totally necessary but gives it a little something!), 2 cups corn (I use 1lb frozen), and taco seasoning - 2 packets, or to taste if you buy a big container. Spread half in pan if using 1, or 1/4 in each if using 2 pans. Top with a handful of shredded cheese (mexican blend, cheddar, co-jack, cheddar-jack, we've used almost every kind except mozzerella). Then sprinkle on a layer of crushed tortilla chips (Doritos - regular & taco are both good, any plain tortilla chip, whatever your family likes is good!). The rest of the meat, another layer of chips, and another handful or 2 of cheese (amount is to taste - we like a lot). Bake til hot & bubble. Serve as-is or with your favorite taco toppings (our family likes shredded lettuce, sour cream and sometimes Ranch dressing!).
    Anonymous

• hamburger meat seasoned like if you was making tacos, add alittle of the cheese and picante sauce to the meat as well . you need one bag of tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese 2 bags, black olives, one can of chilli beans, a large jar of picante sauce..you going to get you a baking pan and layer with with tortilla chips with the season ground beef, cheese, chilli beans and repeat layer when you get close to the top is when you going to add the black olives...i serve lettuce with slices of avacodes and sour cream on the side. bake in the oven until cheese is completely melted and bubblely
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 9:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011