How often do your children eat something different than you for dinner?

Do you frequently make something different for your children? Does everyone eat the same thing?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 8:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My daughter is five and she eats what we eat with very few exceptions. She doesn't like potatoes, so she is only expected to eat a small portion of the potatoes. On the rare occasion where potatoes are a large part of the meal, I will give her something else. For example, last night we had a ham, egg, and potato hash, so I just made her scrambled eggs with ham. The only other time she gets her "own meal" is when we make certain things like taco salad. She doesn't like it all mixed together, so I will give her all of the parts separated on her plate, and then she likes it. I try to respect the fact that she has different preferences and dislikes, but I certainly don't allow her to be a picky eater.
    toriandgrace

Comment by toriandgrace (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• 2 or 3 times a week
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Actually, I cant eat regular food right now b/c of a loose crown. So I cook for the kids and then I eat something soft instead,,,lol, I really need to get this fixed
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• only 1x a week will the kids eat exactly what my husband and I do and with us

hubby isn't home from work til 10:45pm or so.... I wait and eat w/ him
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Kudos to you! I actually make one meal for the kids and a separate meal for my husband. I tend to snack during the day, so I just make food for them, the way they like it.

I can't usually serve us all at once because my kids sometimes need to go to sleep before my husband can get home. . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Everyone eats the same thing unless we go out for dinner.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am a busy mom and I refuse to cook separate meals. DD 2 is vegetarian, so if we are having something meat based for entrees, she microwaves something frozen or scrambles herself eggs, but we still eat together 7 days a week.
    DrRama

Answer by DrRama at 8:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Few times a month on" eat what you find nights"
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Often. My husband likes spicey foods that they can't tolerate. I have the rule we have to all sit down together ( unless DH is late at work )for supper. The other problem is my GS has to eat gluten free.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Pretty much never. I cook 1 meal, and only 1 meal. The exception, of course, is when we have a leftover night, or if DH wants steak and the kids want hot dogs (but usually even then we eat the same thing - DH and I like hot dogs and the kids like steak!). It is very very rare that we eat different meals.
    Anonymous