If the owner of your home manages it themselves instead of having a management company do it.......

are they usually more lenient on pets? I live in an triplex and the current owner/management doesn't allow cats but the building was just sold to a new owner. I have met them and they said they are going to manage it themselves. What are the chances they will allow me to get a kitten?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Since this is a new idea and not a pet that you already have I would ask first.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I live in the same kind of situation you do. Im very close to the owners and he was ok with us getting a cat, but it really just depends on the owners themselves that you are dealing with. I know if we ever left here though, I would have a heck of a time finding someplace to accept our cat. Most apt complexs around here charge monthly fees for small pets, even cats!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I will be sure to ask first of course. I just wanted to know if they are ussually more realxed about it. Seems like most managment company's just have a standered policy of "no pets."
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• In my experience, home owners that lease or rent out their properties are more likely to allow dogs than cats. Cats cause more household damage than dogs and the kind of damage done by a cat is much harder to repair. Small dogs under 25 lbs. are the most commonly allowed pets. Even larger dogs are often allowed more often than cats. And yes, there is usually a significant pet deposit or fee each month. (I've paid an extra month's rent for a pet and I've paid a $500 pet deposit. Neither was refundable at all and both were just one time fees.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Probably likely but you will have to tender a separate or more security deposit.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• A lot of people are concerned with pet damage. Some can be very extensive and costly. And a lot don't w ant to deal with it. I hope to own a duplex sometime and rent it out to owners with pets only. But I have to have a resume on the pet and meet the pet first and decide from there. Maybe you can give them that suggestion.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011