Do you have a business partnership with your SO/DH?

How do you organize time so that business is not a constant discussion, or interfering with the day?
DO you set up a set time in the day or week to discuss business matter?

We run a business together, he is on the operations end of it, I do everything and anything on the business, legal end of it. If we had titles he would be COO I would be CEO just so you can have a feel for our different input and contributions and that we have to work together but seperate a lot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes my husband and I have been running our business together for almost 7 years. We don't have a set time that we talk business (I know some people who do it that way, and it works for them)...we just mostly play it by ear. If he gets back from his day out working and I have business items to discuss with him, I try to do it right away if he's "in the mood" for it. If not, I will let him know I have a couple of things to go over with him and to please let me know when he's ready to discuss it. Sometimes he wants to just get it out of the way immediately before he has a chance to get out of work mode, and sometimes it's opposite, he needs to chill a little, get a shower, grab a bit to eat, etc. I've learned to just take the cues from him on what's best. Again, this works for us mostly, but I'm not going to lie and say that it doesn't at times feel like our business takes up too much of our time.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would say set aside a 30 minute time period where questions and answers get addressed and then focus on other aspects of your daily operations. Keep in mind that your personal time together or quality time should not be neglected as this usually spills over into other areas. It's best to sit down and appropriate specified time together for each area as a Team. You are life partners, business partners, love partners, and parental partners as well so this shouldn't be hard.
    variance001

Answer by variance001 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it is important to have an end of the day. We have done an investment planning business where I did employee management, scheduling and clerical things, records, etc, and he handled the accounts, advising, and that sort of thing.

It was important to have a time when the day was over. That was it. Like going home from any job.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2011