Free Online Phonetics Program?

My oldest son is going to be 5 in May. Tonight he read his first word (Moose). And he really wants to learn to read, my kids LOVE books! But, here's the problem, their father is either at work or in bed all but 3 1/2 hours a day, so he's not going to be any help teaching how to read. I have no issue teaching math, and he and his little brother both do basic 1-10 addition & subtraction. BUT, I am dyslexic and have always had trouble reading. So I had to learn to read differently than "normal" kids. Plus, I honestly don't remember my childhood much and don't know how I learned to read. For me, math is super easy, it never changes - 2 is 2 is 2, ya know... But letters are completely different! Sometimes an E is hard, sometimes it's soft, and sometimes it's silent... How do I teach something when I still have trouble doing it? So I was hoping I could find a phonics program or print outs or something online that would help. I don't want him to fail to reach his potential simply because I have an issue in this area.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• - If you have netflix look into leapfrog letters factory or word factory (they also have math that they may enjoy)... Your child will learn simple phonics in 1-2 days i bet at his age & his excitement to read...
    -Go to the library & see what type of homeschooling books they have on learning to read..
    -There is also books at the library for beginner readers (step 1 books) that he can start pronouncing words out.
    -Google "Phonics Rules", "reading rules" ...
    -starfall.com...... letteroftheweek.com (letter of the week) may help as well. Letter of the week is alot of stuff, but can be simplified to help your son in what he wanted..
    GOOD LUCK!! :)
    Its amazing how we all know how to read but dont understand WHY! LOL im in the same boat! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Starfall is amazing!!
    .Jessica

Answer by .Jessica at 11:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My six year old just started using starfall at school and loves to play it as home too. I'm bad at math and better in reading and writing so I understand how you feel.
    Deb79

Answer by Deb79 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• www.starfall.com is just what you need.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2011