Have you ever had restless leg syndrome? Do you know what causes it?

tastymama

Asked by tastymama at 9:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Health

• I got it really bad while I was pregnant. I found that if I cut out all sugar and caffeine a few hours before bedtime it helped tremendously. I've also noticed that phenergan, an antihistamine, gives me RLS.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I remember having symptoms at 6 years old. Mine is hereditary and my doctor has told me its a neurological issue. Before I took meds for it, lack of sleep or just being tired(sick or pregnant) made it untolerable. I tried a low caffeine and salt diet, but it made no difference. Actually caffeine wakes me up enough to rest my legs, I know that sounds silly.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• RLS is often caused by low iron. Taking an iron supplement with supper will help alleviate symptoms.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I get it when I'm pregnant. Taking a magnesium supplement really helps me. Can't say much about whether iron helps or not as I take those vitamins together.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have had RLS my entire life! I have been to several dr.'s for this, and have even done sleep studies. They don't know what causes it, however, they have concluded that it is heredity. Most of the people on my mother's side suffer from it, but unfortunately, I seem to have caught the brunt of it! I am living in hell when it comes to sleep or sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time. Some years ago, my Dr. showed me a book of drugs that is known to treat RLS, and literally closed his eyes and thumbed thru the pages and chose a drug. It just so happened to be mirapex. Lucky me! He told me it was a "crap shoot" and there was no guarantee it would work. It worked THAT night! Now this is what they are prescribing for RLS, but back then, like he said, it was a crap shoot. HOWEVER...I have to up the dose every so often, if I don't take it at exactly the same time every night it doesn't work, and there are side e
    my_daisy

Answer by my_daisy at 2:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• effects. tastymama, if you want more info, send me a message.
    my_daisy

Answer by my_daisy at 2:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2011