How to get 19 month old to sleep all night

mamasboys125

Asked by mamasboys125 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• benedryl
    Anonymous

• Each child is different. when they wake up in the night you have to put them back in their bed and tell them sleepy time and leave the room.. it may take a while but they will get better sleep and so will you
    LuvNmyGrl

Answer by LuvNmyGrl at 6:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I had a hard time with my daughter too...and, I know I know, I've always let her sleep with me. I just try to make sure everything is taken care of right before bed, giving her a snack and a drink (that sort of thing). Also, I didn't believe my father, but he told me to encourage her to take a good nap every day. I had been trying to keep her up so she would sleep at night, but he said "kids that sleep good during the day, will usually sleep well at night" and it actually helped. Maybe try to get your baby on a good routine...and really keep it up, see if that helps.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• What do you do when she wakes up? Do you go in, comfort her, sing, rock, give her a bottle? STOP. You are just reinforcing the waking up. If you go in, don't talk, don't look her in the eye. Check what you need to check and quietly leave.

Kabbot01 is right - trying to "wear a kid out" so they will sleep better at night does NOT work. Over tired toddlers and preschoolers have a harder time falling asleep and are more likely to wake during the night. If she is no longer taking a nap, try to bring it back. Even a quiet "lay down" in the afternoon will help. Also, make sure she has a good bedtime. Most toddlers need 12-14 hours a day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I so know what you mean!!!!! I have three kids and they didnt sleep all nigt untill they were like three!
    mekari

Answer by mekari at 10:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• You just have to be consistent... if you are reinforcing them when they wake up, you have to stop. Don't feed, rock, change, or cuddle them. When my son wakes up in the middle of the night, I tell him to get back in bed. Sometimes I sit next to his bed, but I don't talk to him or touch him. I just sit there to make sure he's OK, and then I leave the room after a few minutes.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I AM TOTALLY SHOCKED SOMEONE SUGGESTED DRUGGING THEIR CHILD. GLAD THEY DID IN ANNONOMUSLY OR I SWEAR I WOULD GO PITCH A FIT. THAT IS JUST WRONG.
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 12:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Afternoon naps do wonders for bedtime.. I dont know why, but it does!
    We started that when my daughter kept waking up, followed by a bubble bath with J&J Lavender Soap (awesome) and a warm bottle.... she now sleeps all night! And so do we :)
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 3:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2008