Can a person tutor in home c/ pay and not have any degree in teaching?

Sometimes I just want to become a tutor, and another q. on here has me wondering if it's possible to do tutoring and not have teaching experience, but as a good reader, and passing some test, isn't there some short-cut version of state certification?

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 9:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• Talk to your local Community College. I was a student there, and was hired on as an American Sign Language tutor too. All I had was previous experience in the lower level classes. I wouldn't want to do that now though, I haven't interacted with the Deaf community in over 4 years and my signing is rusty, to say the least.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• if you really want to be a tutor the first thing towards something is determination, after that you can find ways to improve your teaching skills.
    linah12345

Answer by linah12345 at 2:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've repetedly thought about tutoring. So far I have only done it for free. But word of mouth is the way to go. As your first client's grades improve you make sure his/her teacher knows that you are the reason why. You go to PTA meetings and spread the word that you tutor. You can put signs up at the library and the grocery store. Anybody can teach what they know. Certification is not required as long as your students are improving and continue to come back to you.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:07 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't know why you would need a certification for tutoring. I did some of that in high school. Personally, I would be more impressed by a reference from a previous student than I would a certificate.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011