He's not tired at nap time.. but by 6 he's exhausted!

My 4yr old son wakes up around 8:30-9:00 every morning.. i usually put him down for a nap around 1:30. but lately he hasn't been tired at that time. Then around dinner time he's cranky and tired! I'm not sure what to do! The past couple nights he has been falling asleep around 8, instead of his bed time at 9. This is just aggravating! what should i do??

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 9:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him stay up. It sounds like your son is transitioning out of a nap altogether. My daughter is 4 and doing the same thing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I let my son stay up and just put him to bed a little early. I figure he's transitioning into being a big boy. I want him used to staying up all day by the time he hits kindergarten.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my ds is like that right now...he's 3. if he doesnt take a nap, he'll be up at anywhere between 3-5am and mommy isnt getting up that early!!! i have to litterally force him to lay down and rock him to sleep, then he'll take a good nap... but unless i make him lay down, he wont take one. A suggestion would be to wake him up maybe half an hr to an hr before he usually gets up...then he might take an hr nap
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i couldnt even get my son to nap at that age.. maybe thats what hes trying to sya is hes done taking naps
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• All of my kids stopped taking naps by the age of 3, and 3 of them stopped at the age of 2. My baby is the one who would lay down for naps longer (she's 4 1/2 now). My two youngest will still pass out every now and then in the car ride to go pick up big bro and sis from school in the mid-afternoon, but it doesn't happen too often.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son stopped napping aroundd 3. Most kids at this age no onger want naps. By kids are up by 7:00 and in bed by 8:00.
    motherof33333

Answer by motherof33333 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My dd is four also, And have been there many times. But I have found DOWN TIME works too. Meaning she dont need to sleep but she needs to at least lay down for 2-3hrs. I put a movie on for her, or some music she likes to listen too. And, most of the time she will end up falling asleep even though she says she ISNT tired. Then the times she didnt sleep she is rested because she rested her mind/body
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 4, 2011