How can I get my 2yr. old to sleep in his own bed?

catlady33860

Asked by catlady33860 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would like the answer to this question as well. I dont even know where to start with my DD.
    Shortma197

Answer by Shortma197 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I just switched my two year old to a toddler bed. We have a baby gate on her bedroom door (so she doesn't sneak out in the middle of the night as a safety measure) We do our bedtime routine, put her to bed, give hugs and kissed, say goodnight, and leave the room. Every time she gets out of bed to stand at the door and yell for us or cry, we would ignore her for 5 minutes, then go in there without talking to her, place her back in bed, tuck her in and leave. For a few nights, it takes a long time, but they eventually go to sleep. They get the hint after a few days that you are not going to give in. I thought it wouldn't work, but it did! :) Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my son has a twin size bed. he started sleeping in it and than i had a friend come stay with us for a month and they were in his room so he had to sleep in are room on his crib mattress. now he refuses to sleep in there. he will go in there and play but thats it.
    catlady33860

Comment by catlady33860 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would still do the same thing. He will get the hint eventually. It may be a long few nights, but it will be worth it.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• When you find out let me know!!! My daughter is 22 months and she will go to sleep fine in her bed but lately every night she wakes up about 12-4 in the morning and she is screaming so we are too tired to try and put her back so she ends up in our bed =( At her grandparent's house she started sleeping in her toddler bed and my mom said she sleeps all night then in the morning when she wakes up she doesn't even get up she playes with the toys in her bed!! I'm like what!!!! So me and my SO are switching the bed ASAP!!!
    NewMayMommy_25

Answer by NewMayMommy_25 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• its so weird our first son was hard to break we went thru alot of nights where id "fall asleep" in his bed with him to get him to sleep there... after a few weeks of me pretending to fall asleep too he was fine.. our youngest son will only sleep in his bed.. when hes sick we tried puyyn him in bed with us and he has no part of it
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Try and go in there with him and read him stories until he falls asleep. That should work.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i have try sleeping with him in his room and leaving when he get to sleep. tried letting him fall asleep with us and taking him to his room. tried putting him in his room and shuting the door and letting him cry himself to sleep like his dr. told me too.
    catlady33860

Comment by catlady33860 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• He doesn't know how to fall asleep without your presence. So when he wakes in the night and your not there he needs you to fall back asleep! You need to sleep the whole night in his room (but not in his bed!) and then slowly wean him off that if you want him out of your room and in his own bed finally.

I had a mom just ask a similar question at http://askananny.com take a look!
    The article is called " My Family Needs Some Sleep! Time to take back our bed - Help!?"
    I have laid out a 4 night plan that will work in your situation too!
    http://www.askananny.com/Ask_A_Nanny/Q_%26_A/Q_%26_A.html

Good luck!
    Stef (the nanny from askananny.com)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 12:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2011