EEOC updates disability guidelines in the workplace..millions more will qualify as disabled.

The new list covers things such as diabetes, autism, ptsd and epilepsy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/28/new-rules-label-millions-american-workers-disabled/

I think this is going to be a mess for employers.  How the heck am I supposed to accommodate someone with PTSD?  I am supposed to make sure the equipment ceases to make loud noises as it changes from cycle to cycle...build a special building and move the air compressor.  Do I tell my customers to be extra nice?  Yikes.  I can see accommodating some things like the diabetes..but holy moly how can you accommodate and more importantly prove accommodation for the others?

Get ready customers your cost of goods will go up again as we employers figure out how to make new/additional accommodations.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• ysk, I understand what you're saying even if some of these others aren't. PTSD, along with several other conditions, has such a wide range of symptoms that you would have to interview your employee very carefully to find out exactly what accommodations he needed to be a successful employee. And, frankly, someone with a disability must be honest with himself and realize that there are jobs that he just cannot do. If sudden loud noises trigger his PTSD, then he should not apply for a job where he just could not be accommodated. I know, with my disability, what my limits are. I know that I cannot handle a job that would require me to stand for a full eight-hour shift, so I wouldn't apply for job that required that. It's a two-way street, imo.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm sorry YSK, John Stossel did an excellent piece on this about 3 years ago, I imagine he will be doing a follow up. check him out online and see if he is.....I'd like to see it too. Yup, more expense for the SB owner, and passed onto the consumer ASAP.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh my, there's a certain poster here who will be pissed to find out Epileptics can work...................3,2,1,
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It would be great if more employers took care concerning their disabled employees , too often someone with a disability becomes harassed, teased, etc in the workplace. Which certainly is not conducive to getting work done. And some folks simply need , shamefully since it should be a HUMAN automatic given, time to test their blood sugar and possibly eat something quickly or take an insulin shot while at work when needed. Or for someone with autism to be able to step out to a more quiet place to settle themselves if they get overstimulated without it being seen as being lazy or shirking. Many many folks on disability could be working if only an employer would one-see their value as an employee, and two make some basic accommodations to the person's needs for their disability. I think this is going to open the doors for many people who are chomping to get off disability.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 10:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Wow, first people complain when people collect disability and now they complain when they are now able to work. I guess you just can't win.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have Epilepsy, from a head injury while serving in the Military. I'v been working in the private sector for many years. I decided I was going to control my epilepsy, it was not going to control me. I've never sought special treatment nor do I want it. I've never missed a days work or been late in the past 15yrs. Sometimes I feel some people use their disability as a woe is me to recieve special treatments. Not all, but some. I have at least 1 grand mal seizure a month and take lots of meds to keep from having seizures. It's called being responsible for ones self. I don't expect my employer to change anything for me.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Catch 22- I work with another nurse who is mid 50s and who has a debilitating medical condition that affects her extremities. She really wants to work (is a widow), but is almost to the point of being unable to safely handle our fragile patients. In addition, there are many accommodations that are made in her work assignment. What to do? How to protect her rights as a person and worker, while at the same time doing what is best for the pts and the company. Such a fine balancing act-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• And some folks simply need , shamefully since it should be a HUMAN automatic given, time to test their blood sugar and possibly eat something quickly or take an insulin shot while at work when needed.

They do where I work. One guy has it so severe he has a port. He has become combative at times when his level was low and they had to call the EMS. He still has a job and has had it for about 20 years.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Hello!! What part of this are some of you NOT understanding? There are NO guidelines to follow..employers are just told to do it. So, I ask again..how can a dry cleaning plant with lots of sudden loud noises be expected to accommodate someone with PTSD? You can't stop the noise without shutting the whole place down.

Do you honestly think I enjoy raising prices? It is a pain in the butt to get everything changed. Am I expected to just eat the costs of everything? Higher wages..no problem....higher costs of goods to run my business...no problem...higher gas and electric bills for my business...no problem...... My employees receive a check every 2 weeks.......for some strange reason I would like to receive one too.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Kathy, I applaud you and your efforts. You are a wonderful role model for those with disabilities. My youngest child has special needs and I like to say "think ABILITIES not disabilities." You are absolutely right..many people use their disability and this type of thing is not only going to end up costing consumers more...but it also gives those with real disabilites a bad rap they don't deserve.

These new rules are just very frustrating..they lay out a laundry list of things I must accommodate without telling me how to do it..they are basically putting it in the hands of the employee with the disability.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011