Judaism?

I have a few questions.#1 Do you tithe? I read on many post that you do not. Because there is no temple and no levites. I read you buy your seats at the synagogue. #2 I just read on here you do not believe in hell is that true. #3 do you believe in Satan and demons? #4 do you cover your heads? i know to go to the wailing wall sp? you have to but do you wear them when you pary to G-d?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 10:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No we don't tithe; our family does pay dues to our synagogue.

Some synagogues do have their members pay for their seats. Ours does not. It is not an either or situation, it depends on the individual congregation.

In general we do not believe in heaven or hell, or at least not the way others do. There is evil in the would. There are angels, archangels.

Covering the head is an individual practice. In some branches of Judaism all married women cover their heads, others do not require it. For men it is similar, but does not tie to marital status. My sons wear a head covering (called a kipah in Hebrew) to school. On weekends and holidays it is up to them as to whether they choose to wear one or not. They do wear them in synagogue. I only cover my head when praying when I read from the Torah or am called up to the bimah (pulpit) for an honor.

Many people do visit the Wailing Wall when in Jerusalem. It is not a requirement.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• about tithing is that the reason you don't tithe what i wrote? because im a christian and tithing is preached on as very important but i always wondered if Jewish people don't tithe why should we?

whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If you read the old testament and add up all the different things Jewish people gave money to the synogogue for (festivals, dif sacrifices, etc) they were actually giving between 24-27% of their yearly income.
    1plustwinsmommy

Answer by 1plustwinsmommy at 11:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm an Orthodox Jew:

#1- yes, we tithe. We do indeed have many commandments that are dependent on having a Temple, but this isn't one of them. We give our 10% to charity.

#2- The synagogue I attend doesn't charge for seats. I'm sure some do, after all, they do have bills to pay. My synagogue is in my sons' Jewish school, so part of the tuition goes to support the synagogue. They do charge a small fee for the High Holidays.

#3- No, we don't believe in Hell. Judaism believes in a "cleansing" process after death that could be where early Christianity got its view of "Hell", but it's temporary and it's productive, not vindictive in nature. We also believe in reincarnation. Actually the idea of an eternal, pointless punishment (as the Christian Hell is) goes against the basic idea of Judaism that everything has a productive, positive purpose.

Continued...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• #4- The concept of "Satan" is actually of Jewish origin. We call him "HaSatan", meaning "the accuser" or "the adversary". But HaSatan in Judaism isn't an independent entity acting against G-d. That, for starters, contradicts the basic Jewish idea of an all powerful G-d. Satan in Judaism is a sort of "prosecutor" when the time of judgment comes. It may be harsh to face him, he may be a tough cookie, but he's still working FOR the system, not against it. Satan is sort of the challenge G.d gives us to rise above ourselves and improve spiritually, but he doesn't act independently of G-d's will. He can't as angels in Judaism have no free will.

#5 yes, we women cover our heads either with a scarf or a wig. It's part of the laws of "tzniut"- modesty. Orthodox women cover our hair completely all the time they're in public. Conservative and reform women either don't cover or use a hat at the synagogue.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2011