"my baby can read"© what do you think of it?

I think it teaches kids a different way of reading (memorizing) instead of sounding words! And feel its gonna cause problems in school...

U could just buy flash cards and go over them every night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• It does not teach reading. it reaches rote and response learning. but the children are not READING. they recognize a word and respond accordingly. it can cause issues. specially if parents are truly foolish enough to believe it is teaching their infant or toddler to actually READ.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 10:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't know much about it other than what I've seen in the commercials, but I'm with you. Without phonics, what is the point? Other than maybe the kid has more confidence once they reach the level where it is time for them to learn to read? I know my daughter HATES making mistakes and had to convince herself she was able to learn it, before she would actually learn it. Maybe it would help in that particular case? But even though I knew from a very early age my daughter wouldn't do something until she felt she could do it well, I still wouldn't have foisted that program on her.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 10:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well intentioned, but ultimately flawed not unlike the 'Baby Einstein' series.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it is just for people to say watch this my baby can read these notecards. But I bet if they see "hand" in a book or somthin they wont know what it says....

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The most important part of reading is comprehension. It does NOTHING for that.

I once taught a child who, at age 10, had a fluency level of a college student. He could read any material you put in front of him and not make a single mistake. He had ZERO comprehension. He could read, but not understand one word of what he read.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• As an elementary reading specialist that works specifically on teaching children to read each day, I am amazed that people are really buying into this program. It is actually working against the way a child should naturally learn to read. It is teaching them to memorize instead of using meaning, structural, and visual cues to solve words. When these kids go to school they are going to have to relearn how to "read" and it will be frustrating for them to find out that they simply can not memorize every word. Poor babies.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011