Sex during pregnancy...

I haven't had a sex drive, but I'm a little concerned about having sex anyway. I know the doctors say its safe, but I think there is a lot of contradictory information. For example, many doctors don't want to check your cervix often due to the possibility of infection from germs. Wouldn't a penis be twice as germy as a gloved finger? And they also say semen can soften the cervix to help induce labor, could this lead to preterm labor? Its probably just me being paranoid, but I wonder what everyone thinks.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• there is nothing wrong with sex. Only if the person is told by the doctor not to take part or if it is painful, it is up to you however do what is comfortable for you not no one else.
    safiya

Answer by safiya at 6:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• sperm can only soften a ready to be ripe cervix. Relax, sex is fine during pregnancy. Some women become total horndogs during pregnancy. Sorry if it's TMI.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:18 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I had sex all the way through with my son and I am having sex with this pregnancy as well. My son came out just fine and I had to be induced since he was 11 days late, have sex and enjoy it, it is perfectly ok. The only time you won't be able to is if you are on bed rest and at a high risk of losing your baby or you are in active labor
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 6:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• WELL TO ME SEX IS THE BEST WHEN YOU ARE PREGNANT......IT DOSENT HURT AND IT IS SAFE......MY SON JUST TURNED 1 AND HE IS DOING JUST FINE,EVERYTHING IS NORMAL WITH HIM ALSO. I AM GONG ON 2 MONTHS WITH MY SECOND AND STILL HAVING SEX,SO I SAY ENJOY WHILE YOU CAN
    Ilovemymari88

Answer by Ilovemymari88 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Well sex during pregnancy is great am 6 months and half and am still having sex with my partner and i havent got no infections at all..so go ahead and ENJOY!!!
    Anonymous

• It's natural to feel concerned about having sex during pregnancy, but unless your doctor voices some special problem - there is nothing for you to worry about. Later on in the pregnancy you'll probably have to be more selective about positions, but with the changes that will take place with your body- that will be easy to figure out.
    As far as having a low sex drive that could be due to early pregnancy symptoms and stress caused by your concerns. Talk with your doctor, so you can be informed and relax. Have your husband help out by giving massages to relax and interest you. A healthy sex life during pregnancy can be great for your relationship. Don't forget, that you'll both be tired and busy after the happy day- so enjoy now. (If you are restricted for any reason or just aren't feeling up to it- don't forget to find other ways to keep things close with your husband. For the best relationships, you need to balance being a wife and mother. Now is the perfect time to start. Enjoy
    ChattyWifePlus2

Answer by ChattyWifePlus2 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Side point - If you come across a doctor that doesn't want to check your cervix as often as necessary, get a new doctor. This is not a common practice.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 6:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Dont feel bad about the "horn dog" comment...I'm acutally usually the horniest woman alive, but for some reason, pregnancy takes it right out of me. My interest in it is just gone, so I suppose being concerned about the safety of sex really doesn't matter anyway, huh? lol. I just feel so wierd because I think normal worries would be about feeling awkward because of the baby being so close to the action, but its really just "gross" stuff to me right now. Maybe pregnancy is turning me into a germaphobe!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i have been using a condom every time, until...NOW cause im a week away from my due date...lol...its safe and since its the penis that got you pregnant...im sure its ok to put it back in there :)
    xandersmama22

Answer by xandersmama22 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• oh and ps...i have not been feeling sexual AT ALL even till this moment, until ur lover actually puts it in i know i know tmi..BUT I really wasnt and am not feelin sexual at all...suck it up till he starts doin his thing...THEN u will see ;)
    xandersmama22

Answer by xandersmama22 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2008