Protesting at soldiers funerals...

My BIL is a police officer and had to protect the people who protest at Soldiers funerals. He hated it, but obviously had to do his job. These people had horrific signs and awful songs they sang and had their kiddos with them.
How do you feel about these people, specifically the Westboro baptist Church from Kansas, who protest at funerals? How would you feel if you hubby/significant other/or self had to protect these protestors?

It really bothers me that they call themselves Baptist. I am a Christian and I grew up Baptist. These people in no way represent what I grew up being taught theologically in my church. Also, my BIL is the chaplain for his department. As a Christian I do not hate them, but am sickened by how this group hides behind the labels Baptist and Christian.

1plustwinsmommy

Asked by 1plustwinsmommy at 10:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• the general consensus is they suck big time!

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It is their current legal right to protest. But I am hoping that law is passed to protect the peace of funerals.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 11:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• They are not representing Christianity or God's Love for others. They are vile people,and well, I'm sorry, but I can't call them brothers or sisters in Christ, acting the way they do. It just feels wrong to. I just pray at some point,they see they are doing more harm than good,and change their ways, or go away, all together. Sorry for your BIL. That must have been very uncomfortable for him. If my DH had to, I don't think he would, because he was in Vietnam, and saw too many of his buddies get sent home in boxes. He'd probably be the one WBC would need the protecting from .
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes they suck, but how would you feel? I know he wanted to call in sick, but felt his sense of duty.
    1plustwinsmommy

Comment by 1plustwinsmommy (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Also, my BIL is a former marine.
    1plustwinsmommy

• If it were me, I'd have him call in sick. Duty or not everyone has to draw the line at some point.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would & still feel very upset such shenanigans go on in the name of religion, but would still do my duty. I'm not religious myself, but their spectacle is simply appalling, and I'm so glad the angels exist to block them. There's a group of protesters that dress up in angel wings & bar the Westboro folks from protesting at funerals.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• that is how i feel. either question..if its a person's job to uphold the law...and its a lawful protest..then it would suck, but it would have to be done.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• those insane baptists. they should be the first sent out on the front lines. how selfish can you be, someone lost a dear loved one because he was out doing what he had too, for the country that they live in. so those idiots can be free to stand in the street and disrupt that persons funeral. should be against the law. disruption of the peace
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 11:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• These people should leave the grieving family members alone. Why not picket the military bases if they oppose so much?
    1sttimemommy711

Answer by 1sttimemommy711 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011