Baby sick with the flu

My son is 13 months old and is sick with the flu. He has never vomited before but got pretty close before he fell asleep. I am afraid he may vomit while he's sleeping and choke. Again, he has never thrown up before. Is choking a possibility? He usually sleeps on his stomach but not all the time. I'm so worried and afraid to fall asleep.

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd put him in bed with me and let him sleep next to me ... it would make me feel better.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Hopefully this will help relax you...I've never actually heard of a normally healthy child dying from aspirated vomit in their sleep. That being said, I'm sure there is someone out there that has, but I'm thinking it can't be common. I still worry about it and my daughter is 6, so don't feel alone. Of course, I would still cut up all of her food into microscopic pieces so she didn't risk choking, if people didn't look at me funny. ;)

I'm sure if it's just a normal bout of the flu and he is still responsive (when he's awake), not dehydrated, and otherwise in good health, he will be fine.

But boy it's tough to watch them be sick, isn't it? *sigh* Hang in there and try to get some rest.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 11:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• we actually went thru this a few months ago.. ds was puking horrible and i couldnt sleep.. i laid him on th ebelly and had him sleep with me just to be safe
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2011