Is he out of it or just stupid?

Ok so a few weeks ago, like 3, i put my kids into daycare because i got a job. Now the daycare costs me 150 a wk and my job only pays 4.25 an hour, so i asked my ex for help because i know he has a good job. He flew off the handle and told me that he didnt have the money because he has his own bills to take care of. Today while telling hiim how desperatly i need the insurance cards for the kids, which i have been waiting on for three wks, we got into the discussion of the daycare bill again; This time when i told him that the daycare bill was $600 a month and i didnt see why he couldnt help me out when he gets paid 9.25 he acted like i had never told him how much it cost. I mean whats the deal, i know i should be happy that he has offerd to help and i am but at the same time i'm irritated, i know he's had the money but he has refused to help me out more than the $250 he gives a month for childsupport, not for each kid but all together. So what now he can magically pull $300 from his ass? I dont know wether to think he's out of his mind, stupid or up to something. I know he wants to claim the kids on his taxes which is something i have refused because of how little he has helped or even been involved in the kids lives. I know i may be over analyzing the situation but with our past i cant help but be skeptical.

2breath2live

Asked by 2breath2live at 11:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well I don't know your situation or his previous involvement with the kids. But I do know 9.25 an hour is not big bucks, and if he's paying child support that's what it's for, to help with daycare and such. If he's offering to help more that's great, and at 9.25 an hour that help might not be much more then the 250 he's already paying. Do you not qualify for daycare assistance? At 4.25 an hour with a 600 dollar a month daycare bill in my state you would qualify. That might be worth looking into until you can get a job that pays more. But for now I'd just be happy he was wiling to help at all. Many fathers walk away and pay nothing (my son's father) while others do what they can, which isn't always what we consider enough. Like I said though I don't know the situation so maybe he really is an ass. Just seems like you're expecting a lot at 9.25 an hour, which is unrealistic.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Time to go back to court and get that child support agreement amended!! Make sure who can claim them on the taxes is included in the paperwork!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am with Crafty.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Anon is right...he can't claim the kids unless he is providing half of their support (and I believe he would have to have the kids at least half the year too).

I would take it to child support. Child care is separate from base support and they will add your child care expenses to that amount. If you haven't gone to get child support legally, do it now. That is a damn low amount for 2 kids!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well one he can not claim them on his taxes unless he provided over 50% of their support..(not including child support) So go do your taxes and claim your kids. You need the money. Let him go ahead and try it . If you have already done it he wont be able to or they will audit. When they do you can prove that you provide more support and he will get in trouble. Get a better job.
    Anonymous

• I have tried to get the cs changed bt they have not allowed it because in my state at least 3 years or a major change has to come about, and they do not qualify a daycare bill of this magnitude to be a major change. As for the daycare assistance i've applied but my county is not recieving as much funding as they need and the waiting list is 12 to 24 months long. my ex has been able to contribute more than he has been, i know this because he has made it a point to tell me repeatedly that he's going out on the lake with a bunch of freinds & drinking so he is buying liquor and beer. in addition he lives with his mother so he has no rent, power, or water bill, and he has no car bill as well. I assumed all medical debt for myself and our two boys in the seperation, so he has none of those bills. i am happy that he has said that he wants to help but with his past i just know he's up to something. It took me 6mths to find this job
    2breath2live

Comment by 2breath2live (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011