Kind of a vent... I found a 2 year old wandering the mall alone today

so I was in line with a friend waiting to pay our parking passes for the garage and I noticed this little boy who was right around two, if he was that old. He was walking back and fourth in the line. I thought he was with the woman paying and I was like "I can't believe shes not keeping an eye on him he's only two!"
then he took off to our left about twenty feet away and I realized, no he's not with the woman in front of us. so while I paid i was looking around to see who was watching him.

NO ONE WAS

I said to my friend, no one is watching him? this is just weird. i might be over reacting but I have to find out where he went!

my friend didn't seem too concerned, didnt want to get involved. but I went to the escalators and stood there about five feet from the little boy waiting for SOMEONE to approuch him, SOMEONE to approuch me for him to go back to his parents. there wasn't anyone around though!
my friend went to tell the security guard back at the parking pass table.
I said to the little boy hey buddy wheres your mommy and daddy and he took off back towards the desk.
right then his grandpa came up and found him. i guess his grandpa had already told the guy at the desk he couldn't find the little boy.
the grandpa was so relieved and came up to me and was like oh my god oh my god thank you so much thank you i turned my head for just a second and he was gone
i told him no worries mine are the same age I know how it can be.

but I was just sick about it all afternoon. what really bothered me was that out of all the people at the mall that walked by him, NO ONE NOTICED. like ugh idk it just made me feel so sick that no one noticed. i know its not everyone elses responsibility to watch out for other peoples kids but idk i just couldn't believe I was the only person that noticed this little baby running all over the ground floor of the mall, alone!

would you have noticed, why or why not?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have noticed because I have a child, you can tell alot about a child there are particular signs that would show you something is wrong. They dont need to be crying at all. But in this world we live in we have to watch our children and sometimes others as well., I think what you did was great. Others just dont take the time to get involved scared of whatever consequences come about. I think it was very admirable what you did just as others didnt pay any attention. Everyone is so busy with their lives that we are almost forgetting about human kindness but you my dear just showed that there are still great people in this busy world.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 11:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think part of it is if you have/have been around kids that really raises your level of concern. I like to watch the What Would You Do? show where they show scenarios like this one...but it drives me mad at how people will not go out of their own way to help someone else.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I absolutely would have noticed a small child wandering around unsupervised. I've yet to lose track of my child but I know it can happen in the blink of an eye and she has taken off on me several times. I can't imagine not knowing where she is, even for a second. It's a good thing you noticed him and not someone creepy.
    EloisesMomma

Answer by EloisesMomma at 11:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• @edwinsmommy I LOVE that show lol. I was thinking of writing to them and suggesting this type of a show. like if they noticed a very young child out alone. the fact that no one noticed is really digging at me
    @christinahenry thank you so much, you are very kind. I've felt really sick about this all day, I've been pretty down and that was a very nice thing to say. You made my day<3
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• hell yea i wouldve did the same thing as you...im just that type of person..
    Mami9674

Answer by Mami9674 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Too scary
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i would have definitely noticed, and done what you did. there have been times where i'll see a child lost or look confused and i'll go ask him or her where their parents are, and if they don't know, ask around while on my way to security and i stay with them until they find them. in each case i had the time to wait, if i had to i'd try to make the time. i'd feel bad if i didn't stay and know for certain the parents were reunited with them.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh, yeah, people would get pissed at me and give me dirty looks at grocery stores. They would leave the kid sit in the cart and walk away to look at stuff. As I would walk by, I would tell my husband: "look, honey, a free kid!". I didn't care if they got pissed, obviously they don't realize how fast they can disappear! I never forgot the story a co-worker told me. She had a friend who went to Toys-r-us, there was a woman who had an infant in the cart, and a toddler walking, she looked away from the cart for a split minute, and the infant was gone! Toys-r-us went on a lock down, and they found this woman, in the bathroom, in the middle of changing the infant's clothes!!! this story has stuck with me for years! some people just don't get it, and like you, it makes me sick!
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 5:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Of course I would have noticed the kid AND I would have stopped to see if he was with someone. If he wasn't, I would have taken him to security and let them know that he didn't have anyone watching him. Poor thing. He must have been terrified! I know my DS would have been! I will never understand how people can just ignore something like this happening. ANYONE could have picked that little boy up and been gone with him!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Well, with you following him around they probably thought he belonged to you. Most people are wrapped up in their own lives and don't pay attention to things. I probably would have noticed but assumed the parents were near by.
    My kids are not required to stand right next to me and just because it looks like they are wandering around unsupervised doesn't mean they are (I could be 10 feet away and still keep an eye on my toddler who knows not to wander farther) or they might be intentionally unsupervised like my older kids (10, 9, 8 and 5) who are allowed to wander around the store, go over to the toy section, etc as long as they are behaving.
    I probably would have made sure the boy wasn't missing/warned an employee but I wouldn't get sick over it. I have enough to worry about with my own 5 kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011