Playing with my son is boring... how can I change that?

I hate playing with my three year old. :(

I try to do things with him that we both enjoy, and even things that I hate that I know he enjoys, but my body just gives out and I can only play with him for about 15 minutes at a time. He's my only child, I'm a SAHM, and I feel like I'm neglecting him.

Our days are spent reading, watching movies, playing cars, cleaning, and workbooks. What else can I do? Am I the only one that thinks it's boring to play with my child? I feel so guilty. :(

ETA -

No, I do not have PPD.  I have some health problems, but not PPD.  I used to enjoy my son, but now it's almost like the only child syndrome has taken over, and I just can't deal with it anymore.

Also, I don't have a car during the day.  We only have one car, and my husband needs it to get to work, which is an hour away.  We can go to parks and things like that, but the weather has been horrible since October, so we don't get out much.  Maybe that alone is our problem.  Over the summer we had a 2nd vehicle and we got out of the house every day, and we were both much happier.

Thank you all for the advice!  I do feel less guilty about the whole thing.  I do wish we could do something different though. 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, SAHM doesn't mean you are literally glued to the house ;) If the weather is nice, find some ways to play outside like at a local park or in the comfort of your backyard. If it's awful out, try going to a children's museum, aquarium, or even make a trip to his favorite restaurant exciting by letting him wear a costume.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• ok u sure u dont have post partum depression still..bc my son is 4 months old and i would do anything to hear him laugh or just to see him happy...i cant wait til hes like ur son up and walking to see what else he can do...and i never get bored with him and hes my only son right now also
    Mami9674

Answer by Mami9674 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Agree w/ Edwinsmommy, get out of your house! The city library is free, get your son some books! Go to Hobby Lobby and pick up some kids crafts, let him make family members fun things! Just be creative. Try new things. Let him bake cookies with you. Get a jogging stroller and take him out for runs with you. Hope it gets better for you, your son will only be this little for a short time, you should be enjoying it and not taking it for granted.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Are you physically able to ride bikes with him, get both of you scooters and go out (okay, maybe I'm weird, but DS and I both have our own Razors and ride together), we play cars together (I teach my 7yo good car smashing games), I make up games that are interesting to me and that my child seems to enjoy. What about board or card games? Even Uno can go at a very slow pace to help a child learn their numbers and colors.

What about baking? My 7yo has helped me cook and bake since he was 4 and loves to do it.

..My child even enjoys helping clean the house with me.

And yeah, sometimes the stuff he wants to do is boring. Depending on how I"m feeling I'll tolerate whatever it is for a bit, or redirect him to an activity that's more exciting for me (but that he'll enjoy too.)
    Anonymous

• take him to the park. thats what i do i relax on the bench but hes having a blast
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I've never been big on playing with my kids, but we do plenty together. I don't think that makes me a bad mom. I don't believe children need to have a constant playmate in their parents - its good for them to learn to play independently as well.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ah, we have the same problem with transportation. Do you know of any other parents in the area with children of the same age? Perhaps set up a time when you can all take your children to do something fun. The weather has been bad here also, so I understand that part. Maybe try making your house into the aquarium or museum. Cut out fish & have him color them, & hang them. Build a pillow 'statue' with all the pillows in the house for your museum. Anything in the house is fair game :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Go out! Enroll in some art classes together. Visit a natural history museum. If you have a device with GPS look into doing geocaching with him so that you have more of a "goal" when you go out to a park together. Join a "mommy" group so he can have fun playing with other kids while you have a chance to talk to other adults. Look for things that YOU would find interesting, and then incorporate aspects of that activity that he would like into your plans.

Also, you don't have to entertain him every minute of every day. It's good for a kid to have free time to explore, and learn to play on his own.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I feel for ya. You sound like you have a case of cabin fever. And when you don't have a car it makes it worse. I'm at home all day w/ my 2 y/o and 9 mo. and I know that it can get to ya after a while.The good thing is that most kids have a VERY short attention span, so when you play games you shouldn't have to play them for too long before you can move on to something else. lol. Maybe try to find some creative activities on the internet? I do agree w/ some of the other moms though. You don't have to entertain him constantly. I've played w/ all of my kids, but I also have them do things on their own so they aren't dependant upon me entertaining them 24/7. If he is sitting on the floor coloring, or whatever, by you, and you are asking him questions about his picture, or about whatever he's doing, that is positive interaction and is giving him attention too. Shouldn't do just that, but mix it in w/ playtime.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You do not have to play with your kid all day! You are suffering from "burn out", over doing the whole Mom thing. Let him play alone . Have him watch a Disney movie. Have him take a nap. You are trying too hard. You need time to yourself to read, relax, do a hobby, etc. and be yourself. I was never thrilled about "playing with kids" either and my kids turned out just fine.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011