Do you know if a OBGYN will let me do a water birth?

I know it's different everywhere, but I just want a general idea. I REEEEALLLLYYY want a water birth. Bad. Because I've heard amazing things about it. I want to be more in control of this birth than my last. I am pretty sure that my doctor is conservative. I've been to him once for just a regular exam and my good friend had him while she was pregnant as well and says he's great. So we will see. But I just really want to do things my way this time. I don't want to be lying flat on a bed, I don't want to be drugged up hardcore (I was asleep for hours and so tired I didn't know what was going on) I just want to be in more control and let my body do it's thing.

Along with the other question, has anyone had a water birth/birth with no to little meds?

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Contact the hospital that you will be delivering at and ask.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You are probably going to need a midwife for that, unless you can find a birthing center that your daughter works at with birthing tubs.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Good idea. Btw I want a midwife but there is only one in this city and its too far.
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• OMG I spelled daughter instead of doctor! Woah! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would seriously consider a midwife, even if you have to drive far, or a homebirth where a midwife comes to YOU for appointments and the birth.

Most doctor will not do it because it takes more time and effort.

Anonymous

• Well, problem is :( I have medicaid and I know that in Texas they don't cover midwives. It's very disappointing.
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have had waterbirths, they were great!!
    :-D

Avoiding unnecessary risks (drugs) is generally the main reason to birth in water.
    Using an OB will significantly decrease your chances for a natural birth.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It's unlikely that you'll get a water birth in a hospital, some have tubs for you to labor in but you're not supposed to birth in them. Are there any freestanding birth centers in your area? They are more likely to offer water birth.

You could still birth in the water. Just don't tell them that you're pushing and...oops. ;)
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I dont think they allow water births for Medicaid patients.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had waterbirths with midwives outside the hospital with my Medicaid pregnancies.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2011