UTI in a boy?

It's almost midnight and my 5 year old son is crying because he can't sleep because he keeps getting up every 2 minutes or so to pee. He says he drank a lot, but this is getting ridiculous. There is no way drinking too much could cause him to have to pee every 2 minutes for over 2 hours. There is a little bit of pee coming out every time and he says it doesn't hurt. Could this be an infection if there isn't any pain? Besides UTIs are pretty rare in boys aren't they? I don't know what else it could be though. I wish it wasn't the middle of the night. I want to call the doctor but it's too late and it doesn't seem bad enough to go to the ER if he's not in pain.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 11:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I agree with the others who stated call a nurse line. I know you said you don't know of any but every hospital in the country has a number to their ER and you can call that number and talk to a nurse without having to go in. That being said I think diabetes is an awfully big conclusion to jump to. I think more logically it'd be either a bladder infection or UTI. Kidney infections can also cause frequent urination. And if any of these infections were just minor they probably wouldn't cause pain. I get yeast infections and UTI's all the time and half the time have no idea they're present because i rarely experience pain. And all these infections can wait until tomorrow when the ped's office is open, so just give them a call in the AM. All he has to do is pee in a cup and they'll tell you what's wrong and give him some antibiotics. GL
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Boys can get UTIs, frequent urination is also a sign of diabetes. Does your local hospital have an Ask A Nurse line??
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Not that I know of. Diabetes doesn't come on suddenly does it?
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• call a nurse line....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't know of a nurse line
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• the symptoms can.... did he have a diabetes test? I know my son is at high risk and that was one of the symptoms to watch out for. Plus excessive thirst and all. I would definately call the dr first thing in the morning just to be safe. Does he have a fever or urine that smells unusual?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It is a silent disorder, showing few signs if any at all. Frequent urination just happens to be one of them.

Honestly, look under your hospital's phone listings and find a nurse line.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well, constant thirst, frequent urination & episodes of being either very super tired or super wound up can be early signs in children. However, the more probable cause is an infection of some sort. Your best option is to do a search engine search for nurse lines or 24hr clinics in your area.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011