Eating dog food

my dd is almost two and i cant get her to stop eating the dog food i put the bowl up when the dog is not eating and have the dog food bag out of her reach but shes figured out the child proof locks on the cabinets and how to push her step stool to reach it when i put it out of her reach any ideas how to get her to stop

luckygurl17

Asked by luckygurl17 at 11:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe try putting out dog food once with something like hot sauce or other nasty tasting things sprinkled on it. (make sure the dog doesn't get it) When she goes to eat & gets the surprise tell her you got a new kind of doggy food that only tastes good to doggies & not little girls.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• can you put it somewhere she cant get at like a different room or higher cupboard? our dog stuff is in the laundry room and thats blocked by a baby gate but my boys will totally eat the dog food if they can get to it lol I would try a room she cant get in
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Have you considered putting it in an air-tight container?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• lol my son gets into the dog treats and everything... we just put the food dish up when the digs done eating and keep everything as high as possible
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We put our cat food in the laundry room and installed a pet door on the laundry room door. That way we can keep the entire room completely inaccessible to our toddler without worrying about our kitty not being able to get get to her kitty box and food.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son did the same thing with cat food. We put it in a room high up on a shelf that i can barely reach, and also put a baby gate at the door so he couldn't get in.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 5:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011