Some advice please

My 20 month has started to hit and throw tantrums. He sits on the floor and cries and kicks his legs. Sometimes he even runs up to a wall and hits it or throws a toy. My oldest son who is 6 never threw fits really and is very well behaved.So this is new to me and am not sure what to do. Any suggestions??

sunsetbeach81

Asked by sunsetbeach81 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my twins are pros at tantrums. they started that at around one lol Taden will actually bite himself. he does this thing where he wants to hit you but he kind of doesn't so he does this like very restrained kind of hit omg its so cute, i have to try so hard not to laugh sometimes. Tyler holds his head and wails at the cieling like 'WHYYY GODDDD WHY MEE" ugh theyre so dramatic its adorable. LOL SOMETIMES. sometimes its frustrating. ok most of the time.

I just dont buy into it. I let them do their thing. I tell him "i know youre angry i know youre mad" but i really just leave it at that. because they WANT attention for it, so i don't buy into it. i think its okay about half of the time because they should be allowed to express their feelings/emotions, but usually I'm like, you work that out in the corner and let me know when youre all done.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The biggest reason why children throw fits is for attention. Do NOT give the child attention while throwing fits. Enforce a time out system for the child to show that actions have consequences. Perhaps more one on one time between the two of you would be a good thing. Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• at any age, I think you should walk away and ignore. Show that you wont pay attention until he calms down
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 5:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I am still learning since DS is only 17 months old, but these are great tips !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:03 AM on Mar. 29, 2011