How do you eat healty on a budget?

I was grocery shopping and here lately I'm on a budget and can't afford the healthier foods. Does anyone here have that problem?

justalady774

Asked by justalady774 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• not an issue, there are many sales and coupons for healthy, fresh, organic foods... you just have to take the time to find them, and then use bookmarks and check back often... i spend aroudn $100 per month for a family of 5 (two in diapers) on everything from food to dog food, wipes, etc...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:04 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I buy a lot of canned fruit and frozen veggies. but this summer we're growing so much food in our garden :D
    also I just don't eat as much period.
    buying the expensive stuff helps because i dont want to eat it because i dont want it to run out and have to buy more. that way I can afford the expensive stuff and i loose weight because I'm slowly starving to death. YAY WEIGHT LOSS
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We make healthy foods a priority, we buy in bulk, and there are plenty of healthy meals that can be made on a budget. I make cuts elsewhere, because health is more important than TV channels.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If you're careful to buy only what you need, it doesn't have to be expensive. The problem is a lot of people buy more than they need and either eat an unhealthy large portion or end up throwing some away. Yes, meat is expensive, buy if you buy it on special and make it go further by adding lots of yummy side-dishes, it is not that bad. Fresh fruit and veges, too, are expensive if you throw away half what you buy, but buy very modest amounts, it's not so bad.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• it usually involves a ton of leg work and research. you usually have to go to more than one grocery store so you can catch the best deals at each store. the thing is that eating healthy will fill you up for longer. and in the long run it will cost you less, specially in terms of medical issues. Try finding out about any famer's markets in your area. do you have a back yard? can you try growing your own fresh veggies? I use couponing to get register rewards from Walgreens which I then use to buy my fresh fruit, produce, etc with at the grocery store.
    Satiblue

Answer by Satiblue at 12:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Also, we plan out all of our meals, which means I only buy what I know I will use, and we don't throw much away. I use the crock pot, and I make big meals and have a lot of leftover meals. Casseroles can be good, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Walmart, saying it was inspired by first lady Michelle Obama's campaign to fight childhood obesity, is stepping up to the plate, announcing on Thursday a five-year plan to lower salts, fats and sugars in thousands of its products, and dropping prices for healthy items.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/WorldNews/michelle-obama-walmart-join-forces-promote-healthy-eating/story?id=12723177
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It is very difficult when you need to keep to a budget. Trying to prepare meals from scratch is time consuming but ultimately cheaper. In australia there are 4 ingredient cook books. They only ever use a maximum of 4 ingredients to prepare a meal.

Growing veggies and having a couple of chooks is helpful to. Meat is quite expensive so we often eat vegetarian meals. It is supposed to be better for you to . Space may be an issue tho (with the chooks) but veggies can be done in pots.. I struggle every week to keep the grocery bill within budget, you are definitely not alone there.
    asdma

Answer by asdma at 12:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• healthier food i find is inexpensive, but cutting out meat from your diet frees up a lot of money. i don't mean you have to go vegetarian, but if you make meat your side dish instead of your main course, and keep veggies in the forefront, you can stretch your budget pretty far. one tip: use tortillas and breads to sandwichize meats. cook your meat and shred it. then, add a tablespoon or two to a tortilla with lots of veggies and a touch of cheese and you'll find that a piece of chicken that used to last one night can now last 2 or 3. buy your fruits and veggies whole and chop them yourself. it's cheaper to buy a head of lettuce than a bag.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We bake instead of fry foods. Sticking with a budget can put a strain on you but just watch the sale ads and buy what you can. If there is a good meat sale stock up and put in freezer.
    normasue2

Answer by normasue2 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011