Nightmares

last night and tonight my 2 1/2yr old dd has been having nightmares. she thrashes in bed, freaks when we try to pick her up and hold her. so we just sit there and watch her, praying. when she's done she'll let me hold her for a minute but she crawls back in the bed and falls right back to sleep. it's only for about 5 minutes or so, one time last night and one time tonight. then it's over.

any ideas on what could be causing this, anything i can do? my ds never had them...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sound like night terrors. not much to do for them then to wait them out. it's harder on the parents then the child and the child doesn't even remember them http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yup, my dd also has them, scares the hell the out of me and my dh! I hate it when shes up and she throws a temper tantrum or if she get hurt and she holds her breath! I think my dh aged 10 yrs with the 1st one!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• OK i know that this sounds wierd but what all electronic devices are in her room. The light from the night light, tv(videos) ANY KINDA of LIGHTcan also help with nightmares. There was study prove the dark the room thebetter we all will sleep. Try that hope it will work..
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• yep, that sounds like night terror. When my daughter went through those, I was told all you can do is make sure they are safe and turn the lightson. There is not much you can do because they are no coherent, and they do gow out of it. I know, it is kinda freaky to watch as a parent
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 5:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thanks. She only has a light as far as electronics go. We have the hall light on with the door cracked, so no night light, no tv, nothing but her bed, dresser and toys
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• awe, bless her heart - and yours!! i hope it gets better.....GL
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 7:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011