Did I just mess up?

My daughter started preschool on March 7, and last week she was telling me that a girl was picking on her and trying to trip her. Well I didn't think much of it because then she said that they were friends. Wednesday-Friday last week she didn't go to school because of doctors appointments out of town. Well today I pick her up from school and go to my moms house to take care of her, and Hannah (dd) starts talking about the girl being mean to her again and she asked me if we could go talk to her teacher. My mom said I should go up there and let them know what is going on so I did. Hannah told them the same story she told me and her teachers told her that she needed to let someone know what happens and she says "I told my mommy" which she did so we had to let her know she also needed to let the teacher know as soon as it happens. Did I do the right thing by talking to the teacher or should I have left this alone?

Decker

Asked by Decker at 12:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you did the right thing! My daughter was having a problem with a little girl on the bus in Pre-K and I went to school and apparently alot of kids were having a problem with her... she eventually got taken off the bus. So yea it was the right thing!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i think you did the right thing..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• absolutely did the right thing...so many times parents just brush it off or say, "oh they're just kids, it will pass" that's when the trouble starts...never disregard anything your kids tell you.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Never leave your child alone to deal with a bully. She is confident that she can confide in you and you will defend her. \m/ Way to go.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 12:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• devilu did the right thing. that other kid is a bully and she needs to be stopped. i don't care what the age.. a bully should always be taken seriously. i remember years ago a kid got stabbed in the eyeball with the lead of a sharp pencil and she has lost sight in the eye forever!!!! she is a very pretty little girl but one eyeball is totally covered with a thick white film since the incident. guess what..they were in 1st grade. if my child gets bullied in pre-school and it is physical, the cops WILL be called to handle the little pissant. if it is just verbal, we will be having a parent-teacher get together no question asked.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You did the right thing. showing her you will stand by her will help both of you later on.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 3:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• when these situations happen in my home, I go to the teacher or the principal. I dont let know kids bully my kids. I am just not tolertaing it. So you did the right thing. No kid at any age should have to deal with a bully.
    motherof33333

Answer by motherof33333 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree that you did the right thing. I don't put up with that kind of thing at all.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You absolutly did the right thing. Your LO HAS to know that she can count on you to "have her back." My DD does the same type things -- one day she says so-and-so was mean to her and the next day, they are friends again. I always just encourage her to tell me the WHOLE story, like HOW the little girl was being mean -- sometimes the other child is mean and sometimes it's just a case of hurt feelings -- either way, it has to be addressed. I always talk to the teacher though.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You definitely did the right thing. I know we want to teach our kids not to be tattletales, but instances like this, we should teach them that it's ok. We want our kids to feel safe talking to us. Yes, you did the right thing and you should talk to the teacher. The school should know when there are issues. They might not know what's going on (they should, but it's a lot of kids to deal with).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011