Free will? (Christians ONLY please)

I'm just curious...if God has everything already planned and predetermined, then how is it that we have our own free will? I was recently asked this question and wasn't sure exactly how to answer it...

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why Christians Only?
    Other religions can answer if they choose to.
    Anonymous

• I wonder the same thing, but maybe it's the free will to believe in him or to not believe in him. I thank the lord everyday for what I have and I am blessed that I do have my faith in him
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 6:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• See, you always have someone that just HAS to stir the pot - and anonymously, nonethelss! They don't understand that you don't want a debate, you want an answer from the people with the same beliefs as you. *rolls eyes*

I've wondered the same thing. I guess it's just one of those things that we'll know the answer to when we get to Heaven and until then, we just need to trust God that he knows what he's doing.

bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 6:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I guess I always figured that God gives us choices. I don't think everything is predetermined. I think God must place some situations in our lives, but gives us the Wisdom to take our own path at times too. Like the footprints poem - sometimes He does carry us, but sometimes He just walks along side. I don't know, I'll be interested to see how others answer.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 6:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Again.........the superior thing......it just bites my butt, but I'm judging for asking that question. What if someone asked a black only or white only question, wouldn't that be offensive? I just can't understand. I give up.
    Anonymous

• I believe God has a purpose, not a plan. He doesn't predetermine every aspect of everything. Just sets out what the end effect should be. For example if he knew that Satan would use his free will to defect and cause all of the hurt we know today, he probably would not have created him.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 6:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• well, the question was for christians ONLY so all other religions will have to BITE THE BULLET on this one LOL - so enough with the whinning, dear, follow the intructions - LOL : and that answer has a simple answer, in the Bible, somewhere i dont remember where, but it says some secrets are not for us, (yet) HIS thinking is higher than our thinking,
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:40 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

Nope, I wouldn't be offended in any way if a black woman asked a question and stated she only wanted answers from other black women because the question specifically pertained to only them. If it doesn't pertain to me, I'm not going to cry about being "left out". If someone is asking how to fix the transmission on their car, I'm certainly not going to jump in on that one because I HAVE NO CLUE!
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 6:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Yes, I asked this question only of Christians because I didn't want people of other or no faiths to bash Christianity. I wanted a solid answer...or as close to one as I could get. I don't need to hear any negativity from people that chose not to believe.

It's sad how the anon person makes it sound like my question is comparable to that of a racist remark.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• "rolls eyes" "sighs" ...the question here says christians only because the person who posted this question might not want to waste thier time on reading non- christian posts :) "stares" LOL... :)
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2008