Should I drop hints to my husband that my birthday is on Saturday?

OK...
My birthday is this Saturday. I will be turning 25. I don't really want or need anything but every year my husband never really does anything for me. I always at least make him a cake and get him a card. We don't make huge deals out of holidays or special occasions, but I would be more likely to go all out for him if he would do it for me in return...
Today is Monday, and my husband has not mentioned that my bday is coming up or indicated that he has rememberd it in any way. My father in law's bday is today and I had to tell my husband to call him. He asked "Why" and I said "......because it's his birthday......", husband said, "Oh....really???"

So do I:
a) drop a hint that my bday is Saturday and help him out a little
or
b) say not a word and see if he remembers...knowing he probably wont...and get my feelings hurt on Saturday for him not remembering

?

appleblossombby

Asked by appleblossombby at 1:03 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• i would not say anything to him. i would not be getting him anything on his bday either. i am very sentimental and i would not take well to a guy who is so out of touch in that department.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Don't just drop a little hint. Drop several BIG hints, write it on his calendar, and tell him EXACTLY what you want (but still expect him to mess it up somehow).

DH and I have been together for nearly 12 years. It took at least half that time for him to even remember the actual date of my birthday. He loves me completely, but he SUCKS at remembering my birthday and getting a present on time. He's great with all the other gift giving holidays, but those come with lots of public reminders. My birthday doesn't.

Give the guy a break. Remind him a LOT. Make it easy on him, and do it with a good sense of humor. Unless he's a total idiot, he will appreciate it and you won't end up disappointed.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 1:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've posted this question in several of my groups and everyone is telling me to drop hints. Yes, I think tomorrow I will say to him "soooo...saturday.....my birthday......hmm....i like flowers, flowers are pretty....and cake, cake is yummy..." lol
    appleblossombby

Comment by appleblossombby (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I wouldn't hint to him about anything. Then if he forgets, make him feel SUPER guilty afterwards! :-D
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 1:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I know it's sooo tempting to just let saturday roll around like any other day and then show him everyone that tells me happy bday on facebook..he would feel super bad though...he would also NEVER FORGET EVER AGAIN! and i would never have to remind him ever again!
    appleblossombby

Comment by appleblossombby (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If u 2 have been together for awhile and he forgets about your b-day? I would be pissed and the next cake I bake him will have ex-lax in it. But it does sound like u 2 need to talk about this. Remember as much as we would like it,k men really can't read our minds. I always joke with my dh and my b-day. For example, I will put my arms around him, look up and I would jokingly ask "So what u gonna get me for my b-day this this weekend?" or "Gonna take me out for dinner my choice since its my b-day?" Or even better "Since my b-day is this weekend let me make the choice of an activity... ohhhhI know! Lets get whipped cream and strawberries and the those little edible undies we saw at the adult store awhile back!!" Say it once and call it good, so if he still forgets, ex-lax it is!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• WOW, my parents have been together for 26 years and my dad buys my mom an applance for the house, and athey go away for the weekend. And as for my SO of 5 years, he has my parents take our DS for the weekend. Then he makes me breakfast in bed, and we will go fishing or play pool, then for dinner he goes all out. But neither my mom nors me have to remind the men in or lives. but some men do need to be reminded. Me personally do remind him, let him hang himself. Go on with you normall day like nothing is special, and if by dinner he dont say something blow up on him. or say something to him.
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 4:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• it wld really mean a lot to you if he remembers by himself that its ur birthday. But if you want to remind him go ahead, my advice to you is to wait till your birthday then bring a present to him addressed to you from a galfriend (which you bought urself) and in feigned excitement, squeal if you have to, remove the wrapping then take out the present jumping up and down.then say " ooh shes so sweet she remembered my birthday!" If he doesnt buy you something or do something for you then you have to learn to live with it
    linah12345

Answer by linah12345 at 5:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Not for nothing, but what a loser your husband is if he doesn't even remember it's your birthday. I'm sorry, but if you actually have to REMIND him that it's coming, I have to ask what kind of selfish jerk did you marry?!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

--------------------------

I'm glad to hear it.  If he's anything like my sweet, yet forgetful husband he'll be very happy you reminded him early enough to do something special for you.  Happy Birthday!

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 9:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2011