No work, no confidence!!!

Before I start, I don't want any ads about working from home. No thank you.

Anyway, I started a serving job and all was good. I was making descent money but within 3 weeks on the job, my days were cut dramatically. I was wondering why until I went in last night to pick up my check. I saw three new people serving that I have NEVER seen before so I know they hired new people. I'm having the same thing happen to me as what happened at my previous jobs, either having my hours cut back or being scheduled "in case" someone calls in and can't come to work. This is pissing me off. I feel useless and on top of that my SO says its my fault. I have truely been j0b searching for weeks on end with no luck. What should I do? Am I looking in the wrong places?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Money & Work

• No I don't think it is you, or that you are looking in the wrong places, people are cutting back the hours of reg employees to make more room for others (because they can't find a job). It is deffinatly not you, nobody can find a job right now (trust me I'm still trying) and your SO is wrong to blame you, my husband is very supportive, he knows and I know that God will provide for us, and we just need to scale down our spending to what he thinks is necessary (God). If you need someone to talk to look me up. Keep your head up and trust in God. Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• It isn't you at all. I am an HR major and I know that so many companies are cutting back on full time employees and taking only part time so that they don't have to offer benefits, vacations, leaves to the employees. Its pretty crappy, but I suppose it is necessary to even stay in business right now. I would definitely look at getting back in school. I would be completely effed right now if I didn't have my education to fall back on when I suddenly needed a job.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I am in school thank goodness. :-)
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have been in the same rut of jobless and confidenceless... I have been searching for months and its getting tougher bc I'm pregnant and only have a few months left til I pop. Its stressful I wouldnt of made ends meet with out going back to school. If you keep a positive outlook (and you dont live in Michigan) you'll be okay. its hard though I know but you will be okay just try not to be to picky. Good luck with searching:)
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• pleaase...dont feel bad,,,,,,,,and my SO got mad at me when i did get a job in my feild and didnt take it because the training was so little. We are not alone ,,,thats how i go day to day..I sub in the school cafe......im lucky i get called alot of work, but on the other hand who knows?? last year i could go weeks without work,,,,,,As for my 7 resumes a day ,,nothing .....not even a confirmation letter...its the wrong time .....We just need to spend less and be thankful for what we do have ,,,,,It does suck,,i am so used to having $$$$,,,,,the gas prices over the summer killed us!!!!! Our charges are up...............and of course oil and electric is awful.......
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 6:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I know years ago when I worked in food they hired group A and going off of everyone's application they had enough bodies to cover the floor. Then slowly people ask for days off, change availability or whine about working. So they hire Group B. Group B would work whatever hours so they started filling them in to Group A hours. Now if you didn't change your schedule then it may just be they hired them to fill in for the potentional increase at the holidays. Just offer to work more or ask to learn more. Not sure exactly what you do but I know at mine it was pizza. So I was a driver and learned to make pizzas. Because if I could do both they would keep me and send a pizza maker home. So try and learn more so you are more valubable.

Anonymous