Removal of adnoids

my 4 yr old is having her adnoids removed in a few weeks any advice or has anyones children when through adnoid removal?

dominique1108

Asked by dominique1108 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My 5 year old DD had her tonsils and adnoids removed a few months ago. It was a very simple procedure. I was completely shocked when I was allowed to see her after she was done in recovery and back in her room. She was up coloring, and yelled "HI MOMMY" when she seen me. Kids are amazing!! She lived off of Popsicle's for a few days though, and then puddings *a couple days after surgery*.. Good luck to your little one!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Are they doing the tonsils too or just the adenoids?

My niece was born with a hole in her heart, when she was a year old she underwent surgery to place a copper coil in her heart to fix the problem While she was under, she stopped breathing several times. The doctors discovered that her adenoids were the size of an adult's.

So she had to be scheduled to have the adenoids removed. They also took her tonsils. She had a very easy recovery. She was back to her old cheerful self after a couple of days. My nephew had his tonsils out at the same time and he had an easy recovery too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had my own removed lots of popcicles and jello and juices. I had a slightly hard time eating. Any time I am on an IV I never am hungry so she may not be and watch out for a reaction to the anestisia. I got sick after i had it for the first time. Also my tongue felt swollen and hurt because they had to clamp it or something. I was discharged shortly after I woke up and I still snore just not as bad as I did.
    sjnapier87

Answer by sjnapier87 at 1:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• he never said anything about removing the tonsils but her adnoids are medium and she always snores really bad and chews with her mouth open from the congestion and we tried nasal sprays for a year and they didnt help so i asked the dr to remove them
    dominique1108

Comment by dominique1108 (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I guess I should have said I had both tonsils and adnoids out.
    sjnapier87

Answer by sjnapier87 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011