8 year old terrier :(

We have an 8 year old terrier. Lately he has gone blind in his second eye. The first eye was maybe 1 1/2 years ago, now they are both completely cloudy blue. He is constantly bumping into things. When I take him for walks he can't see his way:( My question is...has anyone else experienced this at an early age. I mean he's not young, but not super old either. Is there a way to make his quality of life better? I feel so bad for him!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pets

• :( poor thing go take him to the vet and ask
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I am so sorry.. I hope you can get help soon :-(
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes there is a way to make his quality of life better its almost the same way that we would for humans. So you want to keep him comfortable and not change anything in the house that would alter his ability to get around. Like humans they learn to cope and move on with this disability. They used their whiskers to help them get around as do cats as well. It help with their balance but it also helps them sense things. So you want to keep his things where they are where he is used to them being and continue his normal walking feeding and playing routine he will learn and manage. If he is in any kind of pain please have him seen by a vet who can suggest certain things. I am a former Vet Tech but I am not a Dr therefore I cannot tell you what you can give him. But just keep him comfortable.

christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree with christinahenry. Only posting to add that I would want him checked out by a vet to see if there is a reason for his early blindness. 8 is not very old for a terrier, only about halfway into his life span. As he adjusts, he should get better at navigating on memory and hearing alone. Plus, unlike humans, he has his whiskers to keep him in line, so he should adjust pretty well in time.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011