When and How is the best time to ween off the bottle ? I already have my baby weened off the Pacifier ?

christinahenry

Asked by christinahenry at 2:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The eaisest time to wean off a bottle (this worked with all three of my kids) is right about 9 months. If you already have her on a sippy you are going the right direction. Letting her keep it until a year old won't hurt her...but one year olds can be stubborn as mules. At 9 mo you just disappear the bottle. she won't miss it, in fact to her it wont have exsisted.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 3:07 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Two of my kids were off as soon as they could hold a cup. My twins had bottles at night until a year and a half. When they trow fits for it, it's a good time. If you just throw them away then there are no bottles to give. :)
    nikkitorres

Answer by nikkitorres at 3:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wanted to add, the sippy cup called a nubby is one of the best. it has a soft top and woks like a bottle so they don't have to "figure it out". My oldest got hers for christmas, we dumped her milk from her bottle into the cup in front of her and handed her the cup and daddy the bottle. that was it job done!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 3:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wean off the baby from bottle completely or just at night time? Our DD is still on a bottle during the day with the occasional sippy cup. She varies with which one she wants and we let her. Pedi said there is nothing wrong with a child having a bottle passed the age of 1 as long as they're not going to bed with it. Milk sitting in the mouth can rot the teeth.

Fortunately, we didn't have to wing our DD from pacifiers. She never took to them. Everything else we have done cold turkey though, so if you're really determined to get rid of the bottles, try experimenting with some sippy cups and when you find one she will take to, throw the bottles in the trash.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I said wing, lol. Sorry. I meant wean*.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes that is the one I got ! LOL thanks
    christinahenry

Comment by christinahenry (original poster) at 3:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My 10 month old son could open Nubbys. I don't recommend that brand and I tried a few of their cups. I recommend Gerber or Playtex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Do Gerber and playtex have soft parts because my son refuses the hard top kind because he cant drink out of it well ?
    christinahenry

Comment by christinahenry (original poster) at 3:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Gerber does, yes. They come in 6 ounce cups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thank you Anonymous !
    christinahenry

Comment by christinahenry (original poster) at 3:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2011