How old is "to old" to wear diapers?

Me and my friend have vastly different points of view here. By two and a half my kids had all been potty trained (during the day at least). Her three and a half year old still wears diapers full time and she says that the little girl isn't ready yet. The child talks better than a lot of grown ups that i know and i always took that as my cue, you say potty and we'll go. I'm not about to say anything to her cause thats her kid, but I'm just curious, how old do you let them get before at least day training?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 3:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have asked my mom how old i was when she potty trained me 21 years ago and she said girl learn quick then boys, and that i was potty trained at 2 years old. Now boys on the other hand are alot haarder or so im told. I have a 18 month old DS and im thinking im getting ready to start potty training him. But also my niece was 2 1/2 when my MIL started traing her but it took til my SIL got her back for her to be FULLY potty trained.
    Manda725

Answer by Manda725 at 4:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I say 3 1/2 is a little too old to be full time diapering. Part time would be ok, but full time is kinda delayed.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Some kids really are ready late and some parents are overwhelmed by the idea of potty training so that procrastinate. I think three and a half is a little late, especialy for a girl but still in the average range. I see your point, but maybe there are failed attempts or issues she is embaressed to share, or perhaps her idea of normal is just different. I think for an average child 4 is the age where I would consider a child to be past due and five to be the age of deep concern.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My oldest daughte was three when I potty trained her. She still had accidennts but she was basically done in about two months. My second ( who is a boy) still has accidents and he is almost 6. However he does have a some probelms. My youngest just turned two. She is interested in the potty but that is about it. I think when they are ready they will let you know. Sometimes ( like my son) you do have to get thm a little push. Just be consistent and it shouldn't be a chore. Time will only tell
    Clover484

Answer by Clover484 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If she were 3 and a half and her mom was at least trying to potty train her.. and maybe struggling.. thats one thing. But it kind of sounds like she is using " shes not ready" as an excuse. I understand waiting until they show signs.. but not even introducing the potty at her age is a little too old in my opinion.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 5:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think kids should be out of daytime diapers by the time they are 3... night time diapers I think really vary by child
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 and he just quit refusing to go......now he gets excited about it and he will wear underwear most of the days. there are accidents and he refuses to go number 2 in the potty but we are working on it. all the sudden he can go out in public with an extra pair of undies and do great!! there are always those days when he is way to sidetracked to stop what he is doing and will pee his pants but all of his progress has happened over the last 2 months.
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 7:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011