How old is "to old" to wear diapers?

Me and my friend have vastly different points of view here. By two and a half my kids had all been potty trained (during the day at least). Her three and a half year old still wears diapers full time and she says that the little girl isn't ready yet. The child talks better than a lot of grown ups that i know and i always took that as my cue, you say potty and we'll go. I'm not about to say anything to her cause thats her kid, but I'm just curious, how old do you let them get before at least day training?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every child is different and potty trains at different ages; pull-ups don't work though they are just like diapers and are a waste of money; I would say 3 and a half or 4 but then again if they have developmental delays then it could be different. Just because a child is well spoken doesn't mean that they are ready for potty training. Personally I stay out of other peoples business on when they potty train their child.

As I said every child is different and every situation of potty training is different and sometimes you begin potty training them and then something comes up where it has to be put on the back burner so to speak for a while. As long as they are potty trained before starting school then that is when it is best.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:58 PM on May. 21, 2011

• it's a personal decision, my kids were all potty trained before they were two, my oldest at 18months and my twins right before they turned two. My stepson came to live with us in diapers at age 3&1/2 and i had him trained in a week. I personally would not stand for a child to be in diapers after two, but to each his own
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Just because a child is well spoken doesn't mean that they are ready for potty training.  Personally I stay out of other peoples business on when they potty train their child.  Every child is different and every situation of potty training is different.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't have an answer for you but I am excited to see an answer to this. Come on moms tell us.....
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 3:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think three is too old once they turn two potty training should begin sometimes when they turn one you can start potty training
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Too old is when it's interfering with the rest of their lives... 2 is my limit but I know plenty of friends who wait until 3 especially with their boys.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 4:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my son is going to be 3 iin may he was doing so good than he had a relapse and know is back to diapers but slowly going to toilet since hes had dihrrea the past couple of days, we are really trying to encourage him to keep up the good job, but every child is different my husbands 1 son with his ex wasnt potty trained till 4 and my cousins little girl who is a month younger than my son was potty trained 5 months ago
    Snavarro08

Answer by Snavarro08 at 4:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Truthfully, I think 3 is to old. I potty trained my girls as soon as they started walking good. Between a year and a year and a half. Before two they where day potty trained.

Answer by louise2 at 5:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My oldest was completely potty trained 2 months after her 3rd birthday (she is develpmentally delayed) My 2 1/2 yr old is in the process of getting potty trained(we put panties on her during the day). i think it depends on the child.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my 2 kids was potty trained by 2 but my last boy was stubborn and refused to be potty trained, so he was about 2 1/2. but it all depends on the mother and the kids. Some kids just dont want to do it. i tried everything.
    motherof33333

Answer by motherof33333 at 8:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011