How to get my dad out of my house at least during the day?

Okay so my parents live with me, it is my house and they live in it because they're broke mainly. They have a house but can't afford the bills and whatever else they need for it. So I stupidly said "it's fine move in with me". Most stupid idea I've ever had. My dad got made redundant and my mother has a full time job. My dad refuses to leave the house and faffs around all day every day with things that aren't going to make him money. When i try to gently persuade him to go get a job I get yelled at as if I'm an insolent teenager. I can't throw them out for the sake of my mother, she works very hard and constantly to get enough money together for their debts but my father does nothing ever... I've never really liked him but now he's being disrespectful in my house it's too much. My parents don't really talk anymore either but if I threw him out my entire family would tell me I was being disrespectful and he raised me. Goodness knows, he's annoying me so much now, I just want him out at least a few hours a day. My DH just doesn't care... But I think that's because he's out most of the time!

kayalouise

Asked by kayalouise at 4:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• the best thing to do is to sit down and talk to ur father, everything is up to him, if he doesnt listen you really cant kick him out thts the sad reality. if he doesnt listen to you talk to ur uncles and aunts they are the best people to pinch and pull.
    linah12345

Answer by linah12345 at 5:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• First talk to your mom about it. Then if that does not work. You will just have to tell him. "GET A JOB"

Answer by louise2 at 5:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i was in a very similiar situation, with my parents living with me. my dad does the same thing. he thinks he rules the roost, no matter whose roost he may be in.
    the second he disrespected me or my husband, i put him in his place. it only took a few times to get it through his head. dh i think had to talk to him once. he turned out to be a very good tenant, actually.
    the thing about him being home all day, sorry love, there's not much you can do about it. he's legally renting (unless he's squatting) a space in your home, and as long as the bills are being paid, there's nothing you can do. if your mom choses to work and provide for him, that's on her. you don't get the right to dictate where rent money comes from.
    now, if he's getting into your things and/or causing damage, then you have something to go on. you can't live with a person like that, nor do you have to. i'm sorry you're in this situation, and i hope it works out
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 6:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Remember when you were a kid and it was "my house, my rules". Same applies here - it's YOUR house, so it's YOUR rules. He can respect you or he can get out.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2011