Is it safe to take antibiotics in early pregnancy?

I am developing an ear infection, and wonder if it's safe to take antibiotics in the first trimester. I get ear infections quite a bit, so I know when it's going to just be a vague ache and when (like now) it's going to be one that will wind up causing me debilitating pain (right now it's moderate, but just started 12-16 hours ago) and most likely spread to the other ear, and will last for 2-3 weeks if untreated. In these cases, no ear drops I have found (or hydrogen peroxide) have any impact other than to cause me to have more discharge.

So I'm not looking forward to having to deal with 2-3 weeks of pain and hearing loss, but I'm concerned antibiotics at this point (I'm 7 weeks) may cause, if not miscarriage, some damage to the developing baby. I also don't know what impact just letting the infection run rampant would have on the baby. The last time I was prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection, it had no impact and I was prescribed something else. I wish I could remember what it was called; it had a fairly similar spelling.

Has anyone safely taken antibiotics in the first trimester? With no impact on the baby? Has anyone taken antibiotics and had them impact the baby adversely?

Don't worry, I'll be discussing this with my doctor in approximately 10 hours - luckily, I suppose, my ears decided to be screwed up right before my already scheduled prenatal appointment - but the pain was keeping me awake and I wanted to see if anyone had personal experiences with antibiotics in the first trimester.

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes antibiotics is fine. I got strep throat while I was about 8 weeks. Everything was/is perfectly fine with the baby.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• your ob will give you an antibiotic if he or she feels you need one even though you already know you need one..i have really bad ear infections too luckily didnt have any during this pregnancy but i did have a few colds and the last one effected my ears a little...but my doctor gave me antibiotics that were safe for pregnant women...its their job to make sure you and baby are okay so if your doctor tells you you will be fine then trust him
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If the doctor says it is ok to take. Then take it. You can Google it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2011