What kind of mom are you?

Are your parenting techniques exactly like YOUR mom, completely opposite, or meeting somewhere in the middle?

joanie70

Asked by joanie70 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• My parenting techniques are the complete opposite of my mother's. And I'm glad. My mother gave me to my grandmother as soon as I got out of the hospital. She was 21 and married and they were relatively stable, but she just wanted to party. My grandmother raised me, and once the hard parts were over, my mom wanted me back. Of course by that time I didn't want to live with her anymore. When I would go on the weekends for visits and stuff, I would have to keep my sister(at 6 years old, mind you) and then my brother when he was born 2 years later. I raised my sister pretty much, and my sister took care of my brother. My mom's a lot different now, she's grown up and she realizes what she missed out on. I'll never be like that, and I'm soooo glad.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i think i'm very much like my mom (parenting)..and that's not so bad. she did great with me...the only thing i'm different about, or will be as my ds is still pretty young, is i'll be a lot more open-minded..i am anyway. i won't have a problem talking to him about certain social issues because i have an 'it is what it is' attitude.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• somewhere in the middle, I strive to be different than my mother!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think I meet somewhere in the middle. My parenting styles come from how I was raised by both my parents as well as what my gut tells me.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• a little like my moms, i am way more overprotective than she is though...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• In the middl, I am strict, but loving, I am a clean freak, and teach cleanliness, I am big on God, but never pushy, I am honest, but kind, and most of all i am in charge without being demanding!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Probably in the middle. I go to my mom for advice a lot and tend to agree with what she tells me. She is a good sounding board when I am unsure on a decision. I am more involved in my son's life than she was in mine, but we tend to have the same rules and are about the same when it comes to being strict.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:45 AM on Mar. 29, 2011