Should I have an umbilical herbia looked at before getting pregnant again?

This seems very silly, but I am the type of person who doesn't go to the doctor unless it's absolutely necessary. After my first son was born I had gallbladder issues and even with all the pain didn't want to go to the doctor. Anyway, my question is, if I'm trying to get pregnant and I think I have an umbilical hernia should I have it looked at? I don't know anything about this, and I don't want to go to the doctor for no reason. IF there's anyone out there who has experienced this I'd appreciate your help! Thanks!!

Danda08

Asked by Danda08 at 6:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Health

• How do u know u have that?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Well, I don't know if I do have one for sure. I have suspicions about it because I have a large bump in my belly button that appeared after my surgery for my gallbladder. But, if I think I do should I have it checked out? Like I said, I really don't like having to deal with doctors and don't want to waste my time going.
    Danda08

Comment by Danda08 (original poster) at 7:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had one that developed when I had my 4th child. It wasnt very bad. I did get it checked out and was told it was nothing to worry about unless it was causing me serious pain and symptoms that would require surgery. I had baby #5, and than had it repaired. You can always ask and make sure it is alright, but in my experience anyway it was fine.

Answer by gemgem at 7:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• if this is something that is worring you, you should have it checked out so you will feel better about it.
    motherof33333

Answer by motherof33333 at 8:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would have it checked its probably not serious but you know when ur pregnant everything stretches u wouldn't want anything to get worse or cause unforseen issues after ur actually pregnant
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Did you have laparoscopic surgery to remove your gallbladder? If so, it may be scar tissue from the incision near your belly button. Go back to the surgeon who did the surgery & have it checked.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2011