Have you heard of this rule?

My dau has a touch of some bug (probably the same virus her bro has "shared" w/ her) She's been running a temp of & on since Friday nite. I thought she finally broke her fever yesterday, but by 1:00, she had it back (it was 101) Now her sitter wont take her back until she's been "fever-free" for 24 hrs w/out the help of meds. I can understand being worried about germs, but she only has a stuffy nose & I need to work! (I dont get paid sick days) And they dont give antibiotics for a virus, it just has to run it's course? Does your child's school or day care have this rule?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Health

• DS school has that rule. I hate it. I feel like 8-12 hours fever free is adequate but whatever...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That is pretty much a standard rule for any school or daycare. Fever free, no vomiting, or diarrhea for 24 hours.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Our school does NOT say 24 hours fever free- I think that's kind of silly. I think like another pp said 8-12 hours is probably adequate. I can sort of understand, though, I guess, since when you're running a fever you are most likely to be contagious.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yep, every daycare and school around here has that rule. One daycare we went to had a 48-hour rule for fevers, because they can come back, as you've experienced - and that's usually when a child is contagious, is when they have a fever. So either find a back-up sitter that can watch your kids in your house or stay home with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, it is pretty standard. A fever means that they are contagious and they don't want your daughter "sharing" the bug with the other kids there. As a teacher I am thankful for this rule, it helps to keep down the spread of germs when parents honor it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Our school district does not allow fever children......
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 7:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, like the others said, standard rule.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Actually last year my son's school instituted no fever vomiting or diarrhea for 48 hours due to the h1n1 virus. But yes it is standard across the board.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yep- that's usually the rule. Fever free for 24 hrs
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Our school has that rule.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 7:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2011