HOw do you know what job you would be good at when you have only ever done one thing?

How do I know what to apply for? I have never worked retail, I have never worked sales, I have never worked as a stocker or bagger. All I have ever done is veterinary assistant and that is hard to come by these days. I am so scared that I don;t know how to do anything. Handling money makes me nervous. I'm afraid I am too forgetful o be a server. The thought of changing jobs is just scary for me. How on Earth do I get past my own anxiety to find a new job!

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• that's how i felt when i was about 26yrs old. from 18 to 26 i was a CNA. i loved taking care of the elderly, but wanted something different. back then i was a lil on the shy side and embarrassed all the time. i was even scared to ask someone about getting an app to fill out. i filled one out for convienance stores and loved it. picked up fast on it. didn't know a register from a hole in the ground. last year i decided to go do something else just out of curiosit. i am now a shift manager at fast food restaurant and was only there for 3 months before moving up from crew and i knew absolutely nothing about fast food either. just take a chance at something and you will succeed
    MommaFossil

Answer by MommaFossil at 7:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think if you just relax and realize that YOU CAN QUIT if you don't like it. There are LOTS of jobs out there...no they are not all FUN all the time, no, you won't be able to retire on your savings after a year or two, but there are TONS of jobs and as the old saying goes "if you are going to be a sh*t shoveller, be the best damn sh*t shoveller there is". I really believe that if you have a good attitude, ANY job can have it's rewards.

Now, personally, I work from home because I didn't want to pay someone else to raise my kids for me. Feel free to check out my webpage www.greenMOMteam.com if you think you might want to try having your own business. I LOVE working at home.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Well, I started working at 15 at Chick-Fil-A, and I'd never done ANYTHING, was the most shy person(still am, really), and was scared I was gonna mess up. I picked it up really quickly, and that was the most fun job I think I've ever had. I HATED working in a small clothing store- not for me. Walmart was also fun, and when I stay busy, the time goes SO much faster! Tried a desk job- can't do it, so I quit. No big deal. They're not going to hold you at gunpoint, so try different things that you THINK you might enjoy! Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Most jobs require some training on the job. I had job training when I got my bank job..and I had the degree for it! As a business owner, I can tell you I have done a lot of learning as I went.

What you need to do is not worry so much. In all likelihood you will be good at most anything you put your hand too. It just takes dedication and a willingness to learn something new.

I am willing to bet being a vet's asst had some challenging moments and each day brought something different. The ability to work in this manner is a great asset you have. I am also willing to bet you are a pretty compassionate person...another asset.

Just go for it..pick a place and apply. Employers aren't always set on someone with that particular experience. I know I am really flexible...I just mostly want someone that will show up and do the job in the manner they are trained to do it.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have huge anxiety (with or without job- infact i quit my 1st job cuz of anxiety & I loved it -hollywood video) and on top of that i dont feel smart enough to do anything.. and like you I am really shy.. oh and veryself conscious cuz ive gained since quitting that job 7yrs ago (going from walking about 5-7miles a day on the floor to walking 2miles cleaning your house will do that lol)..

So i feel your pain. but dont cut yourself short. How much can we grow as a person if we dont get out of our comfort zone & try new things. And "sometimes u have to fail in order to succeed"
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You need to get some skills, and get some confidence! Start with a community college. Take microsoft office classes (at least Word, Excel and PowerPoint); take one or two bookkeeping classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• im kind of feeling the same way you are. there's nothing wrong with even just trying it out for a few days. you never know until you try, and hey, it maybe easier than you think. if you don't like, you don't have to go back. i tried telemarketing out of highschool. My interview went really well, training week wasn't all that bad. i thought i could really do it, but when i had to do the work on my own...yeah....i only lasted two 4 hour days before i knew there's no way i could keep doing this. lol but atleast i knew, and it wasn't too bad of a paycheck for 6 days.

over the past few months ive had a handful of intereviews in search of a 2nd job, even for something i knew in the back of my head i could never pull off. but i went, i saw, i talked, and i decided no. lol and the ones i did like couldn't work around my current job schedule :( but you never until you try and you can try so many different things.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 9:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Well, I applied at Wal-Mart and Petsmart this morning... That's something/
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I wish I could take classes but with one income I am afraid I can't afford the classes or the childcare that would involve.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011