Is there anything besides pharmaceuticals that will help breast milk production ?

My son is one week old today and I'm now having to feed him formula on top of very minimal breast milk because I don't produce enough breast milk. I've been using the automatic breast pump on a very high setting and still almost nothing. I'm trying to stay away from feeding him formula if I can but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to unless production picks up.

kaaihue

Asked by kaaihue at 8:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best way to increase supply is to nurse, nurse, nurse, as often and as long as baby wants. No formula, no pumps. Just nurse. You can eat oatmeal, take fenugreek, and drink mother's milk tea to support your production.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Let me ask you, what led you to the conclusion that you aren't producing enough?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• it usually takes 3 or more days for your true milk to come in. before that it is colostrum which is solid vitamins and antibodies. i would suggest instead of using an automatic pump use an hand one i liked the medalia i think that is what it is called very east to use with one hand. and it allows you to mimic your child suckling pattern. try pumping on one breast while nursing on the other. your milk is a supply and demand kinda thing. the more u nurse the more milk u will produce. i know it seems like at first that your child is not getting enough.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• (CONT)but in the first week following birth all babies lose up to 10% of their birth weight. but gain it back by the end of the first month. try not to use formula as much as possible. as that will hinder your child wanting to nurse. and could confuse the baby. also try contacting your lactation consultant. your ob or the hospital you delivered in should has talkd to you about one. dont be ashamed or emberased it could be as simple as an improper latch on.
    sweetestkitten

• I've been breast feeding from day one and now he's lost almost 2 lbs. He tries so hard to feed but ends up pulling away and crying. I consulted my physician and because of the weight loss i'm now feeding him formula aswell as whatever breast milk i produce. I just bought the breast pump today and almost nothing comes out.
    kaaihue

Answer by kaaihue at 8:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• o one more thing...b4 u nurse try putting a warm damp wash cloth on your breast. this will help relax the milk ducts and allow the milk to drop faster.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I would suggest finding a certified lactation consultant to meet with asap. Good luck!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• YOu can tell if the baby is getting enough by the number of wet diapers (usually 8-9) in a day and a least one BM per day. Even though you are pumping, that is not a good indicator of how much the baby gets when he is nursing. Does he sound like he is drinking? Are you watching his jaw while he nurses?
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Krm2RwGEYjEC&pg=PA235&lpg=PA235&dq=nursing+babies+sucking+motion&source=web&ots=q9yIvIT9zt&sig=j-QWEAS2zun-gJIif5hK4t9YYAo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 9:19 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Ok, so number one babies loose body weight that is normal.. milk does not even fully come in sometime until the first week. Like was said before how much you are pumping is not a good indication of how much our baby is getting because nothing can get milk to flow like your baby can. Do not skip nursing sessions to give baby formula just nurse. ALL THE TIME! The warm wash cloth helps to bring on "let-down" also massaging the top of the breast. I am sorry but a lot of physicians are not well educated on breastfeeding.. I drink the tea before I buy them at Health Food stores Mothers Milk Tea, I eat Oatmeal everyday and drink a good amount of water. You ad our baby were meant to breastfeed.. DO NOT give up!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022800.asp
    A Lot of really good info there!
    KiaiMomma

Answer by KiaiMomma at 10:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Also AVOIDING some things is also important. AVOID: cigarettes, too much caffeine, sage & parsley herbs/spices. Be sure to drink a glass of water, juice or non-caffeineated drink EVERY TIME you breastfeed to be sure that you are not dehydrated. Call your local La Leche League for support:
    http://www.llli.org//
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2008