How do I introduce new people/family to my dd

How do I make it more comfortable for my dd to meet adults from my df's side of the family. She has never met them and we are moving close to them. Its a lot of people and I just dont want to scare her or stress her out by throwing a bunch of new people at her. A few people she will be meeting more than others is my df's mother his father, his brother, and a few aunts and uncles. Tomorrow she will be meeting her new grammy (my df's mother) and her friend. By the way my dd is 2 yrs old in june so yes shes young and maybe im just worrying for nothing, I just want to know how to make it easier and more comfortable to introduce them.

mommyof0210

Asked by mommyof0210 at 7:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure she has toys to play with, and when they say hello, she can say hello, and while you visit and catch up and talk, she can play and watch you.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I say have a couple of family BBQ's at a park...that way if it gets to be too much...you can take her to the swings or the slide so she can observe from farther away. She will warm up to them :)
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• A few at a time... No big parties/cook outs etc because she'd just be overwhelmed and not remember the individuals any way. The more relaxed that you are with everyone the more relaxed she'll be.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Don't force anything. Just let her play when others are around. When she interacts with them say their name a few times. The more she sees someone the more she will come to know them and remember their name. But it will be on her own time when she can say the names. Also, don't insist she say hello. I have seen so many times a child being pressured to say hi. It is a skill they learn over time and it is not necessary to pressure them. Last, be wary of any new adult wanting to smother the child with hugs and kisses. Her affection for someone has to grow over time and be a natural thing. It is not automatic as many adults wish it was. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2011