Didn't get it!

People who answered this question (95% anyway) didn't read it very carefully! SHE PICKED OUT THE CLOTHES, NOT HER DAD & I!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can I diplomatically/reverse psychology even my 12 yo daughter into wearing other shoes and clothes in her closet rather than THE SAME OLD THING? Any hints or ideas? It's not that I or her Dad picked out the clothing (she did) but only wants to wear THE SAME OLD CLOTHES AND SHOES. What a waste of money if we let this go on. Please don't tell me to let her wear what she wants to (we have a big investment in shoes and clothes that aren't being worn).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• When I was a kid, if I wore the same thing's to often they seemed to go missing on me. Id have no choice but to wear something else to school. Maybe you could do that?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Throw out the old clothes, or put them away in a closet or attic or something until she wears the other clothes.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• 1) Sell/donate all of the clothes she isn't wearing and let her live in those few clothes she decides she wants to constantly wear

OR
    2) Step up a little bit and be a parent. You're letting a 12 year old rule the roost. It's not hard to tell her to change her clothes every now and then.

And maybe 3) Which I wouldn't advise doing---While she's away at school, go through her clothes and get rid of the ones you don't like her to wear.
    paper_clip

Answer by paper_clip at 8:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Not sure what to tell you. I like allowing my kids having their own personalities.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• LOL dont you just love when your question is answered and its not right? haha...ive had to delete some questions because of that.

WELL....she is 12 so she still is young and thats good. I say, put on a fashion show for you and her Dad. You can sit on the couch while she experiments with different styles and walks out to show you OR you could help her put outfits together and she HAS to try them on for her fashion show then discuss how it makes her feel and if she would consider wearing them. Make it fun.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Maybe you could have a rule that something can only be worn twice and then it goes in the hamper. Then do the wash only once a week. Other things would have to be worn in between. Just an idea. But I would caution about fighting over clothes. It is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things. Donate what she grows out of and know that some other child will benefit from it. You can even claim the donations' value on your tax return. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:20 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My mom also liked to make things disappear. Just do that.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 8:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• girls at that age are funny. there is probably something someone told her they liked about that particular item so now she wants to wear it 24/7. maybe a cute boy told her she looked nice that day. who knows? ..or maybe some little bitchy girl told her she looked stupid wearing the other stuff. its really hard being a kid. you need to help her build her confidence up. tell your daughter how great she looks all the time in everything!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• ...in fact, i bet you anything she is dealing with little drama bitches at school putting her down for her nice clothes. I'm a grown ass woman and i still hear this crap. I went and got highlights in my hair a few weeks ago and i know it looked good. I went to work the next day and some jealous girl said.."who did your hair." "you need to have them go over it again, it looks like crap." lol...whatever, she was jealous because she aint got money to get her hair done. ..you just need to talk to your daughter about how jealous girls can be and not to let people get to her. tell her to flaunt her stuff.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't know about you but I am an adult and seem to wear the same things over and over. I don't think that it is such a big deal for her to be comfortable in the same clothes. Is there something wrong with the clothes?
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 8:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2011