Any mommas SO drive trucks over the road for weeks at a time?

My hubby is about to get his CDL and it looks like he's gonna have to drive over the road for a couple of years bcus all the local jobs want experienced drivers. I know it's good money but I'm not looking forward to this. We have had some issues in the past, lots of lying and and infidelity. I'm worried that our relationship is not ready for this, we never got the chance to go to counseling to work everything out. I just came back home and accepted his apology but he knows that if are anymore eff-ups then I'm gone for good. Does anyone out there have a SO who drives over the road for weeks at a time and how has it affected your relationship?

LogansMamma0511

Asked by LogansMamma0511 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• Hubs drover OTR for 10 years. He now runs locally and is a volunteer fire fighter. Any questions about the trucking industry or family dynamic feel free to message me.

It is hard on the entire family. Even when you get used to it. If you have trust issues with infidelity they will get worse in this line of work. I am going to be up front about it.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Hubs and I never had to worry about the trust issue. We have seen a few marriages end over the years where the guy started driving and issues you mention, were there before the guys started driving.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• He did at the beginning - it's what he did when we met, while we dated, and til our first baby was due. Then he couldn't take it anymore. I don't think I'd be able to handle it now, with 4 kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My dad has been an OTR truck driver for 30 years. My dad never cheated on my mom.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If you can't trust your SO now, how do you think you'll be able to trust him after being seperated for weeks at a time? In two years what do you think that lack of trust will do to your relationsihp?
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My SO is an otr truck driver, has been since before we met. He has never cheated. With that said...

This will require a HUGE amount of trust. He will be gone much more than he is home. While you might be able to talk to him (my SO can spend 6-12 hours a day on the phone, sometimes), you will really have no idea where he is or what he's really doing other than what he tells you. If you can't trust him, you'll end up letting your imagination run away and start coming up with all kinds of theories on what he's doing.

Drivers don't cheat as much as people like to think they do, but the opportunities are there if they are inclined. You have to know if you can trust him or not. And if you can't, then this is probably not going to work for you. And there are other complications with this life, too.

I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm not going to lie. It's hard, and trust is just not optional here.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I am in the process of divorcing my husband but it is not due to the job. He has been an otr driver our whole marriage (9 yrs) and then some. Frankly, they make more money otr then they do locally. You can make it work. It is hard in the beginning getting used to it but if you can get yourself into a routine you will be just fine. I talked with mine mulitple times day on the phone and it worked for us.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2011