How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop biting?

She bites even though she talks very well.

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have heard several answers. 1. lightly tap there mouth and say "no". 2. Hot sauce on the tongue. 3. last resort bite back.

Answer by maryztutti at 11:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• move their are in front of their mouth when they start to bite. they will end up biting their self and realize how much it hurts.

Answer by blue_eyedmomma3 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would NOT bite her back, when my son was 1-3 he was a biter and ONE time I bit him back,he is now 15 years old and to this day I feel bad about it even though he bit me so often I looked like I had tiny tatoos of his teeth!

After he was out of the biting stage I worked with toddlers for 8 years and realized that ALL toddlers bite, some out of frustration, some while teething, some to get the reaction from the person they bite. Try to think about when she is biting, sometimes a teether kept in the freezer will help. When she bites tell her we don't bite people, it hurts and tell her what to say if it is frustration or give her something she can bite on if she is just wanting to bite because of teething.

Answer by goaliemom93 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well, apparently I was quite the bitter until my mom bite me back! With my own daughter though I lightly flicked her on the lip when she bite me. That was 6 months ago and it hasn't happened since. Good luck!

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2008